THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Internal reinforcing screws or Cross-bolts?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Enigma
posted
I have a question for gunsmiths in this forum. I decided to order a Boyd's JRS laminate stock to replace the factory stock on my Winch M70 classic stainless. Boyd's offers the installation of reinforcing screws for an extra 35 dollars. The rifle being a 375H&H, I think it would be a smart move but I was wondering if they are as solid as Cross-bolts? Anyone have any experience with internal reinforcing screws? Should I install cross-bolts instead? Any of you guys know what factory recoil pad comes standard on these stocks?

Enigma

Posts: 347 | Location: Canada | Registered: 30 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have put some interal reinforcing rods into several wooden stock guns that had broken or cracked stocks. I am sure they add strengh but I wouldn't think they are as strong as a thru cross bolt.

The stocks that I have fixed are still going but they are not big bores.

Posts: 19582 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
On a laminated stock for a big bore I would put both.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The ones I am familiar with are threaded rod with nuts and sometimes not, threaded/glued and capped with an ebony or rosewood plug. They would work as well on a 375 as the commercial through bolts. It kind of boils down to what appearance you prefer; the wood plug or steel boss of the Talley type.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I just used the same stock on my .458 Lott, M-70 and I put crossbolts in. I talked to the tech at Boyds and he agreed that they would be stronger. I also used Acraglass Steel bed for both recoil lugs and after 120+ rounds, everything is fine. I bought the nutmeg brown and like this stock much more than I thought I would, I originally bought it to modify and use as a pattern stock, but after finishing it out, it looks nice and has grown on me. Realistically, on a 375, steel bedding is probably sufficient, but the cross-bolts look nice too!
D. Humbarger, not to start a pissing match, but in my experience, laminates tend to be stronger overall than most walnut, and tend to hold up well with big bores. Did you have problems with some? and whose were they? Thans, Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Enigma
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. Does a gunsmith need my action to install cross-bolts? They obviously need my action to do a bedding job but do they need it to install 2 cross-bolts?

Enigma

Posts: 347 | Location: Canada | Registered: 30 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does a gunsmith need my action to install cross-bolts?

No they do not.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
both?
i generlly xbolt and wrist pin (down the wrist) anything bigger than a whelen... but i like the looks of xbolts, and the germans thought them a good idea on the 8x57

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote