Find
Notify
Tools

Removing cold blue
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,

Anyone have a suggestion for gently removing Oxphoblue while leaving whatever is underneath (rust blue + age patina) intact?

I have a couple of neat old rifles in my possession which have been, unfortunately, "renewed." The wood I can restore to it's appropriate aged appearance quite handily, as woodworking is a hobby of mine. I would appreciate any tips on the metal though.

Todd

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't how you can get back to patina, if there is any.
Blue remover (Birchwood Casey), or try toilet bowl cleaner (not kidding) or the liquid silver tarnish remover. Whatever you use, it can/might "frost" the metal if you leave it contact too long. I'd use steel wool and as soon as the metal looked clean get it under running water to neutralize the remover.

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the patina will be gone, unfortunately, if you use anything like a blue.. and I don't know of anything that will just take off the cold blue.. but there's a couple coldblue experts around here that might know better?

afraid you are going to go to the point where the blue may have to be redone Frowner

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Years ago a customer paid a rather high price for me to build a new stock from scratch for an old Greener 10 gauge he found near the site of an old Colorado prison camp, and then beat it to death to make it match the hammered forend. I've gotta say that "aging" that stock was some of the most fun I've had in a long time. Big Grin

You can do the same with the metal. You can use a combination of anything that will stain steel to make it appear aged. Anything from the use of a little heat to a little salt water spray. You can spill a little coke on it, some blood. That's Coke as in Cola. You can use anything.

Leave it sitting in the sun for a while. An old terry cloth towel and bleach will work to help knock down any shine. Have fun!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

I have made some distressed furniture - nothing like carefully making a drawer to fit the cabinet case, then taking a belt sander to it to 'wear' the edges! Very enjoyable, like you said.

If I still had a pickup, I would just lay them in the bed for a week or two. Best way to age any tool.

I will try the Coke first (forgot about that one) then go to the Birchwood Casey blue remover.

Todd

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wash off metal with acetone or lacquer thinner . Rinse with water now you can either " Acid etch " with hydrochloric or sulfuric ( Not together !!!. ) Rinse water baking soda mixture clean water . Lemon juice or Coke some old iron filings sprinkled in strategic places !. Wah La . Then rinse off preserve that New old finish !. Oxides will also age metal , hydrogen Peroxide as well as many others . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not just restore the gun to new condition. I know the arguments-You'll ruin the guns history and value. But isn't soaking it in coke,acid eching,bleaching,ect doing the same thing? I'm doing the final boil off(rust blue} tonight On a Remington 34. When I received this gun it had a broken stock-held on with a hose clamp-was painted black and could only be operated single shot. When I get done it will look like new gun and have another 70 years of life. As far as this guns history-I will now be part of it. Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greystone,
Agreed. A pre-monkeyed gun in good working order is a perfect canidate for a re-do, the "history" was cleaned off by the previous owner.

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote