New
Find
Notify
Tools

Choate Ultimate stock owners-READ THIS!
 Login/Join

<Rafael>
posted
While these stocks are very nice and reasonably priced, there are a few issues.
I just sent this e-mail to the manufacturer.
Thought you guy's might like to see the fixes we have come up with at the "Va. Beach Outdoor range".

Quote:
Why do you install the threaded insert for the elevation knob "upside down"?

I have an ultimate varmint stock, as do many of my friends. We like the stock very much, and we like the price. But, I/we have had to solve many problems with the stock.

The bipod rail: The best thing to do with this is remove it. If you then install a sling stud thru the center rail mounting hole(shimmed out to get the stud clear of the rail recess), the Harris bipods(model-BR) will mount tight to the stock. It is VERY floppy mounted using the supplied rail insert.

The bedding blocks: These were found to be extremely out-of-square. On my gun the witness marks on the Savage-10 action showed very little contact with the blocks. A little at the front of one side of the V, a little contact at the other side of the V. While I would rather get them machined, a few minutes with a good quality file spanning both V-blocks(first one side/plane, then the other) made a tremendous improvement in block/action contact.

Elevation insert: I have been playing with this one for a while. This elevation knob is VERY sloppy. I gan get over 1 M.O.A. of slop out of mine, others seem to be similar. We tried a 3/8" threaded "thumbwheel" for locking the knob in place, poor fix and cumbersome. I got tired of the problem and decided to "pull" this insert last night. To my pleasant suprise I found it only pressed in, no problem with that. Upon inspection, it seems only 2/3 of the insert is threaded. The threaded part was installed upward, so, the threads are always furthest from the support point. This makes things very wobbly. The problem gets worse as you unscrew/remove elevation. This screw backs out of the threads so far that only a few threads are making contact, thus exaggerating the play in the threads.
I, after chamfering the "bottom" end of the insert like you did the top, put it in the other way(threads down). Wow! What an improvement! Did you install it that way to keep dirt out of the threads? If so, I have yet to meet anyone who intends to get dirt in there.

As I said, I really like your product. Just thought you would like to know of the "improvements" I/we have found. I bet you cant find a single shooter at my local range who wont agree that these improvements are good for more than 1/2 M.O.A. off thier groups. My experience is more like a 3/4 M.O.A. improvement.

$
RAF
Endquote

Good luck, all

$
RAF

one of us
posted Hide Post
Let us know there reply?

Thank's!!

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Ricochet>
posted
Do you know if they have a web site. I was concidering getting one of their stocks for my 110 FP

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Ricochet>
posted
I hope this works.