THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to get out a semi-stripped allen head screw?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
Well, my bedding job looks like it may be a success, but when I put the action screw back in the stupid head stripped. Wasn't even tight at all...now the screw won't come out. I have a spare screw that I can cut down and use, but I need to get this one out. it is just a tiny bit too large for the allen wrench now, and the next size up is way to large. I was hoping to shoot it tomorrow, I keep having little setbacks. Frowner

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try a metric, or, epoxy the wrench you have in the socket

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Take the larger allen wrench and carefully filing a gradual taper into it until it can get a good bite.

However, like tin can says, if it is not stripped but you simply have the wrong size then you may be better off simply finding the proper wrench. Another trick is to pound a torx driver into it but try the other suggestions first.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
If all the above tips fail use a left hand twist drill just slightly biger than the hex key that wont work. As you are drilling on the head the screw will come out 99% of the time. Remember use a left hand drill for this.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another trick is to pound a torx driver into it

that's why I suggested a metric- they are close in size to the SAE's, and maybe one can be forced in that's slightly oversized... but the torx method could be handy.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the only good reason to use a torx drive bit. Tap a close fitting one in and back the screw out.

Posts: 1295 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't forget ez-outs, and impact drivers are your friend when removing stripped things too.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
J Zola has it right. I've used Torx bits for years for this purpose and they bite great, cheap too!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Looks like I'll be getting an easy out bit. I'll try grinding down the next size, but I'm doubting I can get it. I tried some gorilla glue, but it just broke when I went to screw the screw out. I thought it would at least grip it enough to let me start unscrewing. The screw isn't even in there tight at all...have no clue why it stripped.

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you keep messing around you will have to drill it out. Forget the easy outs. Lee440 and J Zola are right. If you want it out, pound in a Torx bit driver. If it is really tight, a hammer strike on hand held impact driver will break it loose. When you screw up as often as I have, these are things you know.

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Don't have any larger size torx...

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
go over to the local sears or auto parts sort, and get a set of 1/4" drive torx bits..

or, get an easy out set, and grind down the TIP of an easy out till it goes in.

gorilla glue? well, you learned a lesson, don't use wood glue for metal work.

really, stop screwing around and go get a set of torx..
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Got it out. Big Grin

Little bit of hillbilly ingenuity...but it is out with no damage to anything.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well howdja doit?

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
First, I wouldn't have tried this if it was tight at all, but I knew it wasn't so:

Cut a little notch in the screw, put in a screwdriver at an angle and lightly tapped it till it got to where the allen wrench could get it out.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Then I cut down a longer screw I had for the rifle to the proper length for the front action screw and put it in.

One of Us
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
Sometimes a set of left hand drill bits is a nice thing to have. Especially when removing broken or striped screws.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Eric

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
Benjamin Franklin, July 4 1776
Lost once in the shuffle, member since 2000.

Posts: 199 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
This is the only good reason to use a torx drive bit. Tap a close fitting one in and back the screw out.

+1 Wink

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote