Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser 98 "Fix it" pack
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Folks

If you were going on an extended hunt carrying your trusty 98, what parts would you include in your field repair kit.

For the purposes of this discussion lets leave scopes and mounts out of the picture, and issues relating to broken or swollen stocks as well.

I'm not sure a stuck cartridge/case should be excluded, it has never happened to me with a Mauser but one should never say never.

Thanks - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
extractor, extractor collar, firing pin, FP spring, shroud dentent spring.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39706 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And one of those tools that Brownells sells to facilitate installing that extractor.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you take along a spare extractor, make sure it has been properly fitted first.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I usually just take a spare rifle. In over 50 years I have NEVER had a firearm break a part in the field other than a scope. Doesn't mean it can't happen of course.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tentman:
Hello Folks

If you were going on an extended hunt carrying your trusty 98, what parts would you include in your field repair kit.

For the purposes of this discussion lets leave scopes and mounts out of the picture, and issues relating to broken or swollen stocks as well.

I'm not sure a stuck cartridge/case should be excluded, it has never happened to me with a Mauser but one should never say never.

Thanks - Foster

A "trusty" 98 shouldn't break, or so I've heard. Depending on where you are going, to be on the safe side, take a gunsmith. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
And one of those tools that Brownells sells to facilitate installing that extractor.

oh you mean a leatherman?? Wink

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:

A "trusty" 98 shouldn't break, or so I've heard. Depending on where you are going, to be on the safe side, take a gunsmith. Big Grin

Someone's trying to earn a free hunting trip.
-Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Depending on where you are going, to be on the safe side, take a gunsmith. Big Grin

jumping

Don

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Like Zimbabwe, I haven't had a part fail on a gun. I hunted with someone who had an ejector get stuck, but the extractor still worked.

If I were going on an extended venture, I'd probably just take a second rifle if space allowed. IF I wanted to take a spare parts kit for a mauser, I think I'd just take an extra complete bolt. Most anything seriously fatal but fixable in a rifle will be somewhere in the bolt. In a perfect world it would also headspace correctly but barring that I'd just grab a bolt off another rifle and just plan on swapping parts. Most likely you won't need to but having them all in a bolt body will make them easier to keep from getting lost.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
Duct Tape

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Jeffeosso but I think that the trigger is a vital part that can't be repaired and re used without extensive testing (safety) so would also take a previously fitted spare trigger.