Notify
Tools

Winchester to Close New Haven Plant
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HP Shooter:
No big loss. Plenty of pre-64s around anyway.

In any case, with CZ, Kimber, and Ruger producing affordable CRF rifles of a quality that leaves the current Model 70 in the dust, we still have plenty to choose from.

Ruger? Ruger is trash thumbdown

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MajorCaliber:
quote:
Originally posted by HP Shooter:
No big loss. Plenty of pre-64s around anyway.

In any case, with CZ, Kimber, and Ruger producing affordable CRF rifles of a quality that leaves the current Model 70 in the dust, we still have plenty to choose from.

Ya, that's why they are doing as well as a firearms manufacturer w/o military contracts can be expected, but USRAC is history.

Do you ever think before you post? Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
David are you going to make it to Reno this year? It would be good to see you again. Been too long. hijack

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chick,

I don't think so. Trying to finish up my second degree/career change is all time consuming... Besides if I get that close to Heilmann's and the Dressel's wood tables I'd have to sell options on my first born to cover my butt! Next year I'll be there for sure.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
I love Winchesters Eeker

It Sucks to be left handed .. fewer and fewer choices..

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I believe you are right on the VW/BMW ... but imgaine a wv v12 under the hood of a nice heavy road car!!!

I'll buy the rights to the model 70, for 10 bucks...

quote:
Originally posted by MajorCaliber:

as well as the winchester.. just add money, and they both become wonderful guns..

let's see...
ruger 77 mkii

good safety
CRF AND load from the top (my new phrase)
dual square bridges
intregal mounts
factory supplied RTZ bases
CHEAP (low dollar) add ons
mauser type extractor
mauser type ejector

downs
weird safety engagement
weirder boltdown system (3 bolts)
stupid ejection port (needs work)
needs adjustable trigger.. an 80 dollar fix

other than the last, the same apply to the m70!!

yeah, rugers are junk...
but available in stainless, magnums, and left handed (for the most part)

Sorry Major, I do disagree

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:yeah, rugers are junk...
but available in stainless, magnums, and left handed (for the most part)

How about available, period?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't say it suprises me. They had the farm bet on the WSM horse, and they aren't moving, and if you didn't want a short mag it was damn difficult to buy anything else. Yeah there were a few rifles available but not enough of the standard calibers, I have been eyeballing gallery of guns for a while and there just weren't any WInchester rifles in chambers I wanted.

I can't say I am happy though, I still think a model 70 action is good parts to work with, even the new ones, yeah they need some help, but still good pieces parts all in all. I always think when I hear news like this a little guilty, I just bought two rifles and would have bought a Winchester, if I could have found one in a decent chambering.

This had been a very bad day for gun news, first the passing of Fred Wells, then Winchester down the tubes. Boy I hope there isn't any other bad news this week.

HP: Aren't those FN sniper rifles Model 70 actions? Maybe its just a shift in production to a more modern lower cost plant ( I hope) seeing them permanently gone wouldn't be good.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
The primary reason has to be a loss of profit. The primary reason for a loss of profit is the old union in New Haven.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with todays litigious society and the increase that adds to the price of such a item. Can't blame everything on Unions every time something like this happens. homer hammering

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mikethe bear,you're a wise man.Winchester is just a name.It will be replaced with other talent.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I have one concern - does anyone know if this
will affect the production of Winchester brass,
specifically the 300 WSM case?

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Elk Hunter:

I have some once fired range pickups, I will let you have them $5 each, plus shipping!

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Elk Hunter:
No, two completely separate corporations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dempsey:
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
The primary reason has to be a loss of profit. The primary reason for a loss of profit is the old union in New Haven.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with todays litigious society and the increase that adds to the price of such a item. Can't blame everything on Unions every time something like this happens. homer hammering

Maybe, but I don't recall USRAC being named in any anti-gun lawsuit. Virtually all of them were aimed at companies with significant handgun production and sales.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schromf:
HP: Aren't those FN sniper rifles Model 70 actions? Maybe its just a shift in production to a more modern lower cost plant ( I hope) seeing them permanently gone wouldn't be good.

They sure are. And as I said in another post, I strongly suspect that while Olin owns the names Winchester, Model 70, Model 94, etc, etc, they do NOT own the designs to those firearms.

If Herstal does own the designs, my hope is that the Model 70 will be reborn as a true quality rifle under the FN brand with a different model name. Still made in the USA at FN's South Carolina plant.