New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re-heat treat bf or after action work?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
1917 Spandau. Will be used for a warmly loaded modern round. Should I send it off to Salt Lake before I d&t, surface grind, reshape the tang, etc or after? This is the first action that I have considered heat treating.

Also, I wasn't going to treat the bolt. Should I? Thanks a million.

Jay Kolbe

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Others in the past have indicated that there is a possibility of warpage if you case harden first. Call Blanchard's and ask them if they think you should anneal the action first, do the work, and then reharden.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
anneal the action first, do the work, and then reharden.

That's what I would do.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Use a VZ/24 action instead.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on how they HT. If the final hardness is no more than 40-45 Rc [that's how they should do it] then it would be better to machine after HT to eliminate any warpage problems.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I've always done my clean up & machining first and never had a warpage problem.

IMHO, warpage has more to do with the method than with what you done to the action.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I was wondering about scale developing in small screw holes etc. with the re-hardening process. I'll call them--
Would you re harden the bolt on a WW1 action?

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowcat:
I guess I was wondering about scale developing in small screw holes etc. with the re-hardening process. I'll call them--

Of course you need to give it a final polish afterward but that is an entirely different thing than machining it afterward.

quote:

Would you re harden the bolt on a WW1 action?

YES.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What is the name of the company that you send your action for heat treating. I have mauser that I am working on and need someone to heat treat it for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Posts: 7 | Location: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just recently recieved back a 1909 Argentine that I sent to Pacfic Metalurgical in Kent, Wa. Turnaroun time was about a week. The action is now 36HRC and the bolt 47HRC. No warpage, but there was a small amount of scale that had to be dealt with. Website www.pacmet.com.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Craigster how much did it cost?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug,
It was $85 plus shipping for both pieces.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not an action I would use, but to each his own..I would anneal the action then have it brought back up to specs, thats the only way I would do it...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote