Find
Notify
Tools

rechamber 45-70 to ???????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted
what can a ruger #1h in 45-70 rechambered/rebored to????...... i'm not interested in the 45-70, but something different, without rebarreling....ive got a #1h in .458 win mag, so thats out....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The most common limiting factor on enlarging the bore and/or chamber of a Number 1 is the holes for the quarter rib screws. Ruger routinely drills these over .200†deep! If you rebore or rechamber too far you will have a “ported†barrel. Take some measurements and do the math. Each gun must be measured before you can proceed. The minimum wall thickness you need will depend on what chambering/pressures you intend to work with. The Number 1 Tropical Rifle in 458 Win Mag can sometimes be rebored to 470 Nitro Express…after you measure the holes. I have never measured up one in 45-70. Send me a PM or email if you need help with the measurements or calculations. Have fun!

Posts: 57 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
What about a 45-120?

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some people have rechambered Pedersoli double rifles to .450 No. 2 and .450-3 1/4". A search on the double rifle forum here, and the one on nitroexpress.com, would turn up some of this information.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Ybless you're dead set on a factory round, I'd suggest a .45-100 throated for whatever your favorite bullet is.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a .450 alaskan will fit in there. just have to make your own ammo.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I have one in .45-120 (450-3 1/4") however, I re-barreled because the recoil is vicious. If it is the typical #1 .45-70, then the barrel is quite light and the rifle overall weight is light. You can (and I have) loaded 50 grs. of 4198 with a 500 gr. cast gascheck in the .45-70 and you will not be able to hold the rifle in your shoulder at the shot. I'm just telling you this in case you want to "steam" the .45-70 or re-chamber to some longer round and shoot full power loads. My recommendation is to re-barrel if you don't want to keep it in .45-70.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote