New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebore or Rebarrel question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an old commercial FN Mauser that is beat up and I gave too much money for it. I've had it a while and I am trying to decide what to do with it. It is a .270 now and I don't need another one. Would you rebarrel to something like a 257 Bob? or would you rebore to something like 9.3 x 62. I'm tired of looking at it standing in the corner like a dunce and I may have a little extra chash now my wifes Chemo is finished. What say you? It will be a no frills gun how ever it turns out. Plain Jane riding in the truck. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can't live without the existing barrel profile, have it rebored. Otherwise, rebarrel in the contour/caliber of your choice. I have a Mauser in 257 and like it. Have you considered the the 7x57? Always a classic in a Mauser.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think it,d be easier to open up the bolt face just a smidgeon for the 9.3, use a reamer for the chamber, may hafta open the magazine a bit..
Buy a barrel, or rebore, check the feeding is smooth, let it keep some weight on, 250s, get a little reach. 286s, get a little thump..
The Bob, shorter case, more work.. Course, I,m partial to the 9.3. 25-06, again easier than 257 Roberts.
9.3x62. Thats my vote.

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WHOA! If the existing barrel is marked "Chrome Vanadium Steel" it cannot be rebored to your satisfaction. The boreing tool tends to chatter and what you end up with looks like 40 miles of bad road. I sold one to a friend that was rebored to 9.3X62 and neither he or I are happy with it. Shoots good but looks like hell. When we checked with LaBounty we were warned of this but went ahead anyway. If you would like to buy a FN barrel that has already been rebored we have one available CHEAP!

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd rebore it...I just had a Rem 30-S rebored from a 25-06 to a 404 Jefferys and I am tickled to death with it..It is super accurate and had to do some rail work but it feeds like snot thru a goose now..A rebore costs about half as much as a rebarrel and its cut rifling and I like that..Dennis olson did mine, not sure who he sent it to for rebore..got it back in two weeks..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is Chrome Vanadium Steel so I guess the re-bore is out. Well that changes the way I am thinking about it. I was going to keep the iron front sights and add a peep sight to it. The reciever is drilled for one on the right side of the rear ring. It would be fun with a heavy caliber and I only have one other that has Iron sights besides a scope mount.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
sorry to hear about the chemo.

these guys rock
http://www.itdcustomgun.com/

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwheels:
It is Chrome Vanadium Steel so I guess the re-bore is out. Well that changes the way I am thinking about it. I was going to keep the iron front sights and add a peep sight to it. The reciever is drilled for one on the right side of the rear ring. It would be fun with a heavy caliber and I only have one other that has Iron sights besides a scope mount.

I would give Jim Dubell a call at Clearwater Reboring and discuss with him.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote