New
Find
Notify
Tools

Needed - Engraving Photo's
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking for different engraving ideas for a big bore working gun (just to dress it up a little bit). Does anyone have any photo's that they can post or email me?

Examples of:

1. trap-door grip cap or steel grip cap

2. cross-bolts

3. or anything else you like, as long as it's not too extravagant

Thanks

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Here's a photo of the grip cap on mr .577 NE:

(Sorry that it is a little fuzzy)

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
It is only fair to give credit where it is due... Marty Rabeno's work follows:

Maybe a little more than you had in mind, but eye candy non the less. I do hunt the .375, and the castings are of the only Winchester ever serial numbered 1 of 1. There were only 8 castings made before this mold broke!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Scope rings are always a good choice.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I don't have the photos handy but Roger Kehr recently did the bolt knob, grip cap and cross bolt on a Mauser for a friend of mine. The work was impeccable and all that was needed to really dress up the rifle. Maybe Roger will post some photos for us - or send him an email and ask for some photos.

It doesn't take much engraving (especially on a big bore working rifle) to give it an elegant custom appearance. It's real easy to over do it.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I know everyone is really tired of looking at this rifle, but the photos are pretty clear and conveniently hosted. I want just to show that it doesn't take much scroll to dress up a rifle and maybe more important is the trim work and lettering.

Here's some quality trim work and lettering from Charles Lee:

Just a little work on the screw heads and crossbolts goes a long way (along with cleaning up the action stampings):

The grip cap is one place where an engraver can do more work and not be forced into putting an equal amount of engraving on an ajoining piece of metal:

Just a little matching work on the screws and an engraver's work is done:

I've also seen the rear of the cocking piece engraved to match the cross bolts and screws and that's a good look. There's no need to hit the bottom metal or even the scope rings unless you just want to.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
these are a lot busier than I think you asked for and are doubles, I'll just give the links to them:

http://i11.tinypic.com/30ho8de.jpg

http://i19.tinypic.com/2uhsly8.jpg

http://i13.tinypic.com/2i0rvyu.jpg

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be nice to see a beautiful buffalo head right on the top side of the barrel chamber,about a couple of inches in size.That would be my choice for engraving.I don't want any engraving on the metal plate,but engraved guard screws are nice.So would an engraved grip cap,I think that is a must.Also,I think one should not over do it but that shouldn't be difficult considering the cost.Those guild photos of various artists works are breathtaking.The engravings of Sam Welch look tops,very passionate.I will see if I can get him or any other of those artists to do a small job on my custom rifle.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Darn, another opportunity missed. I didn't take any photos. Frowner

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have photos of Roger's work on my 404 Jeffery Projects.

As you can see Roger's work is excellent. He is good man to do business with. No BS just results. His prices were, I thought, reasonable and the time frame for getting the project done were addressed as the project went along.

I am very proud to have results of Roger's skills on my rifles!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Roger and Rusty, great work and great photos. These two sets of photos each show modest amounts of high quality work and each a different style of engraving.

Some engravers have a specialty. Charles Lee does terrific rose & scroll, but I'd look elsewhere for banknote type engraving. Other engravers can handle multiple styles. I think Roger does a great job on rose & scroll as well as on banknote style - though most of his work seems to be the banknote style.

Personal preference of the owner plays a huge role. If I'm only going to spend $1,000 on engraving, it's going to go towards lettering, lines, stippling, screw heads, and cross bolts. As my budget increases, I'll add strong bordering, then some corner work. The next step up, for me, is to pay for the 'open field' engraving. That's just me. Someone else might prefer that their first $1,000 in engraving had better be visible in the middle of their floorplate. If that's their preference, then they should have it done that way.

One thing for sure, if you pull out a heavily engraved rifle you darn well better be able to shoot it. I'm a poor shot, so I try to keep the engraving to a minimum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
One thing for sure, if you pull out a heavily engraved rifle you darn well better be able to shoot it. I'm a poor shot, so I try to keep the engraving to a minimum.

You had me right up to this part and for some reason I don't believe you are a "poor shot".

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check out loud-n-boomer's enfield here-

HERE

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did a search on the web and saw some work from various artists.Now, I know that I don't know anything about the technical part of that craft however I will say that I really enjoyed looking at work done by Bill Gamradt.I get this feeling that there are cheap and quick methods to this craft and long and skillfull ones too.When I see deep and difficult cuts and angles along with a truly HAND design of the work instead of a MACHINE type look, I know that is what I want! When something is too perfectly proportioned and has a cold artificial look to it,I call that a machine look.Contrary to one that has a soft,not that perfect proportioned,I call that hand made.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't want engraving,I want HAND ENGRAVING!