Notify
Tools

Posted Mauser Kurz action pics for Butch Lambert
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good friend that I shoot with always wanted a double set trigger Mauser. He found this a gunrange recently for $500. He really didn't know what he had. I call it a cobbled up Kurz and it is sad. Somebody put a real heavy Mod 70 heavy barrel in 220 swift and rechambered it in 22-250. He doesn't want to sell it, but is in a quandry as to what to do with it.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I think it depends on whether he wants a lite weight open sighted gun or a one that is scoped? The holes look fairly well done from here. Wouldn't take much to "fix" them. Depending on magazine length a 250-300 or .300 Savage would be damn near ideal. Even the bolt handle could be put right with a wee bit of effort.

I'd not be in a hurry to part with it were it me. Unless of course your freind wants to sell it to me, lol.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
has anyone ever seen a recoil lug and round bottom behind the lug like this on a M98 before? It is an early number, so was this done because things were still in transition, or was it done on many Kurz's to reduce weight?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I was so busy posting pics and trying to run out the door this morning that it really didn't sink in. I knew something looked amiss.

I'm interested in hearing the answer.

Aut vincere aut mori

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the first Kurz I have seen in the nude.
There seems to be a lot of metal in the bottom of the receiver at the front of the magazine opening. Is that normal?

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
It's ashame the front base is done the way it is.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could a good metalsmith fill in the dovetail, recase and engrave the top ring as delivered?
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you could do that.

Or he could throw away that abortion of a scope mount and get new claw mounts to fit it and use factory pressure ammo from the period in the action. If the action were mine I would only use claw mounts in it in keeping with the period of the original rifle. But to each his own.

The subject of dovetailed rings came up a week or two ago, and some have seen them stretch. There are also a lot out there still kicking. It is just like the heat treat threads going right now-differing opiniions and each has to go with the route that gives them the most comfort.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I have a Kurz that probably looked just like that one before someone butchered it. They made a dovetial fill peice and then "engraved" the top of teh front ring with a chisel and a hammer to try to hide the joint lines. You can see in this photo that the recoil lug on mine is very different.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2936 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote