THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    What's the best all around 3 positon safety to put on an Interarms MK-X??

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the best all around 3 positon safety to put on an Interarms MK-X??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am thinking hard about putting one on a relatively plain 30-06 Mark -X "working rifle" I am restocking for myself..

What brand have any of you gents actually used on a such a rifle??

Which one is the easiest to install?

I was leaning toward a Gentry or Dakota..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends on whether you have a standard mark x
or one with the speedlock.

The standard mark x will take any of the 3 position safeties easily enough. But if it has the speedlock, some milling will be involved for an adequate job.

I'd send the action to Gentry or LaPour for installation with the speedlock. For me personally, I would replace the bolt with a top quality military one with a new handle welded on to eliminate the speedlock altogether!

I think one of our member craftsmen makes a 3 position mauser safety. I'd get his expert
opinion before doing any modification to the speedlock version. He may even install one of his safeties for you?

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd send the action to Gentry or LaPour for installation with the speedlock. For me personally, I would replace the bolt with a top quality military one with a new handle welded on to eliminate the speedlock altogether!

Why?

I have just bought a nilitary Mauser action that was "sporterised" in Belgium in the 1960s with a sporting style stock and a 280 Remington barrel. It still retains its military bolt with a flag safety as it was never "drilled and tapped" for a telescopic sight or mounts.

So I am thinking when I do put a telescopic sight on it to changing the safety also. So why, if I read correctly, should I avoid a "speedlock"? I have one ony my Parker-Hale M81 Classic as factory fitted standard?

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
dakotas have given me less trouble, as i haven't received any that are grossly out of time ... gentrys i have had over tight threads and or 180 deg out of time (yes, was a batch of them)

have a godo smith install it .. yes, it can be a DIY, if you are patient, but a smith can do it in about an hour.

if you have the speed lock, and want a 3pos, email me .. i might still have one ... might not.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
quote:

Why?

I have just bought a nilitary Mauser action that was "sporterised" in Belgium in the 1960s with a sporting style stock and a 280 Remington barrel. It still retains its military bolt with a flag safety as it was never "drilled and tapped" for a telescopic sight or mounts.

So I am thinking when I do put a telescopic sight on it to changing the safety also. So why, if I read correctly, should I avoid a "speedlock"? I have one ony my Parker-Hale M81 Classic as factory fitted standard?

Based on your referrence to the military Mauser with the originally designed wing safety, and without intending an insult, I have to question if you actually know what I mean by the speedlock modification? It involves a newly designed cocking piece and a remilled bolt where the cocking piece fits in after firing.

Because, FOR ME, a speedlock on a Mauser is redundant. They make safety installation more difficult and serve no reaL PURPOSE. Ever try a 2 position installation on one? Besides I like that reassuring THUNK of the original design. It's there for a purpose you know?

That's why the excellent commercial FN Mausers don't have them. The military actions never did have them, unless somebody wasted their time and talents to convert one. A Parker Hale/Santa Barbara action with a "factory"
installed 3 position safety? I don't mean any insult, but I don't believe it?

The original intent of actions with the speedlock was to use a smooth gas sheild and a side/trigger safety.

A personal matter to be sure, but I find the mark x bolt handle too thin at the root and ugly overall! I would swap them out as a matter of aesthetics. Actually I had the bolt handle replaced by Dennis Olson on my FN commercial action too. The original is what I call a Jeanine Garafalo handle....too short and ugly as sin!

That said, why not just use the side/trigger safety with the speedlock if cost is the issue?
They have been working for many well since before I was born and I'm OLD! Not only that, the better ones come with a new Timney trigger attached!

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jim62:
I am thinking hard about putting one on a relatively plain 30-06 Mark -X "working rifle" I am restocking for myself..

What brand have any of you gents actually used on a such a rifle??

Which one is the easiest to install?

I was leaning toward a Gentry or Dakota..

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM jim kobe

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
A personal matter to be sure, but I find the mark x bolt handle too thin

And Short. But since I have a number of them just as the facotry made them I guess I get buy. I have both the Speedlock and std. I've never seen the speedlock added anything in the accuracy area. I find them harder to cock than the std. Given a choice I would go std but wouldn't pass just because a rifle had a speedlock.

From my limited experience I found the LaPour easier for me to install. For a working rifle Kobe's 2 position is hard to beat. Last two I built I cut the safety off the factory MKX and installed a left side FN tab.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO the best and ONLY 2-position in my book is the left-side FN style because that's the side my right thumb is on when I grip the rifle. Kind of a no-brainer for me...

For 3-positions, I've always had splendid luck with James Wisner's product which I understand is now being made by LaPour(sp?).
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Based on your reference to the military Mauser with the originally designed wing safety, and without intending an insult, I have to question if you actually know what I mean by the speedlock modification?

A Parker Hale/Santa Barbara action with a "factory" installed 3 position safety? I don't mean any insult, but I don't believe it?

No insult taken.

In the UK I've come across these things really ONLY as factory installed items on Parker-Hale rifles and have found them superior in lock time and pull-off to the standard Mauser system although no better than the pull-off on a good well gunsmithed (for target shooting) Pattern '14 or Model of 1917 "Enfield" or BSA's old Model E based stalking rifles on the Model of 1917.

No I was just interested in why you would not advise me going down the speedlock route on my new purchase which I would also fit with a two position side safety...seeing no benefit (to me) at all in a three position safety.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I like Ed Lapour's or Satterlee's safeties. they are made to much better tolerances than either Dakota or Gentry Safeties.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Thanks for all imput- even the opinions..LOL

I might just wait a bit and send the bolt to Dennis Olson in a few months and let him install it, whichever brand of safety I chose..

Thanks.