THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta Mato opinions vs. Win 70 Super Gr?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm wondering about opinions on these rifles, does anyone have one, or know someone who does?

I heard Gun Test didn't like the Mato, at least partly based upon accuracy

they look solidly built; a bit on the heavy side but look to be made w/ lots of steel and tight tolerances

I'm wondering if a Super Grade model 70 is a better bet for the same amount of money

Is the QC any better on the Super Grades, or is it just a better piece of wood?

I've been reading about some quality control issues here and in other forums on the Win's.

Posts: 50 | Location: CO | Registered: 13 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Mato in .30-06 that I've used for the past two years for whitetail hunting. The rifle is very light for a full size rifle and points like a dream. Fit and finish are also excellent. I posted a topic about a month ago inquiring about what type of action was actually used on this rifle. Two people advised me that the action was a Dakota hunter action. They also advised me that the earlier models were built by Dakota for Beretta. I also can't complain about the accuracy. While I've never got a chance to load for my Mato, it will print fine groups with Winchester 150 gr. BT's.

Posts: 49 | Location: Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it were me, I would certainly buy the Beretta over a current production Winchester. If you could find a Super Grade that was made at least 3 or 4 years ago, you might be OK, but with all the problems Winchester seems to be having, I would go with the Mato.
This is the same as the Dakota Hunter "round" action. However, don't get it confused with the Dakota 76 action, because it's not.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
To my mind, there is no comparison. The Mato is of much better quality than the Winchester, but it also heavier. However, if you get the Mato with a nice wood stock, you will pay much more for the Mato; if you get the synthetic version of the Mato, it is much cheeper - a great buy. I have seen Matos on Guns America for as little as $800.

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote