New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disable a Wall Hanger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My dads favorite shotgun, which he shot since 15, and all my life (I'm 60) with high brass loads, has a problem. While cleaning it, I really looked at it for the fist time in my life. Damascus barrel. After some internet digging, probably late 1890's and yep Damascus.

I and my son know the problem, but to prevent some (other) fool from making a mistake in the future, remove the firing pin? Is that good enough? Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No it isn't if you really want permanently disable it. Run a bead in each chamber with an arc welder. Or weld a plug in each chamber. Or weld the barrels to the frame, which is not necessary, but would do the job.

Posts: 17192 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great idea, I will also put a puddle over the firing pin hole.

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee

I would check to see if it has any value before destroying it. There is a growing fraternity of dirty fuel burners that might put it to good use for another 100 years. Also, after all this time I would say it's probably nitro proved with the misuse that it's had. LOL

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Growing opinion, backed by proof does not condemn a barrel just because it's a Damascus or twist. Have an expert look it over before you do anything

Posts: 3518 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting Damascus for the last 20 years or so. I work on and re-finish damascus guns regularly. If the gun is sound, no pitting, tight etc. Then low pressure 2&1/2" shells that the gun was designed for should be fine. The proper shells are available from Polywad and RST among other sources.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is reloading data that well give you black powder pressures.

I would not disable it.

I just shoot low pressure loads in it.

Posts: 19457 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Destroying your dads weapon is not the answer . It survived this long . Another option would be to have a liner installed .

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remove the firing pins.

Place an advisory "warning" note in both barrels.

Hang it back on the wall.

Don't destroy the past.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys it is just a clunker. A for the trade Worthington (Crescent) single barrel. Dad always felt that a double, pump or auto was just too heavy to carry. They stayed home and he carried the single. If you could have see him fire 3 quick shots (two between fingers on his off hand) you might have agreed that it was no handicap. Maybe worth $50 to $100, it looks rough. Loose (with an oval pin in an oval hole on the barrel lug) and two pins (well done) to stop splits in the stock. It was just his favorite and he could hit what he shot at. He got his money out of it, $15 when he was 15, paid for with coal miner dollars. During WWII nobody checked the age of coal miners. Since 2 3/4 shells fit just fine, I am tending towards a fix instead of a warning.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the suggestions. I am not sure what I will do. I just hate to hurt his joy (not pride, even he thought it was ugly). However, I do not like leaving a booby trap for future generations. Meditation time, or is that medication, a wee dram, time.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
remove firepin, tap the hole, screw in a set screw, and leave it for another generation to resolve - it's "perm" but not final

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38662 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
At the most remove the firing pin (which may require far more effort than originally thought) and place it in an envelope in the barrel with a "DO NOT fire warning".

Or just leave it alone and put it up on the wall (with a note of caution on a piece of paper in the chamber) which seems to be the simplest solution.

I certainly would not damage it in any manner.

An opinion of course and you know what they say about opinions

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arniet:
My dads favorite shotgun, which he shot since 15, and all my life (I'm 60) with high brass loads, has a problem. While cleaning it, I really looked at it for the fist time in my life. Damascus barrel. After some internet digging, probably late 1890's and yep Damascus.

I and my son know the problem, but to prevent some (other) fool from making a mistake in the future, remove the firing pin? Is that good enough? Thanks.

That is what you probably want to use for cowboy shooting, firing low power black powder loads. It probably still is useful.

Posts: 5710 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. I decided to remove the firing pin, and then go old Navy and spike the firing pin hole. The spike can be drifted out, so it could be returned to shooting the proper shells. Note is enclosed with the firing pin in the chamber. Thanks again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Make sure you hide the pin in the buttstock under the butt plate. Otherwise you are likely to lose it; even if in the chamber. Leaving the note in the chamber is a good idea and a copy in the butt stock is good backup.

quote:
Thanks for the help. I decided to remove the firing pin, and then go old Navy and spike the firing pin hole. The spike can be drifted out, so it could be returned to shooting the proper shells. Note is enclosed with the firing pin in the chamber. Thanks again.

Posts: 3717 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
Make sure you hide the pin in the buttstock under the butt plate. Otherwise you are likely to lose it; even if in the chamber. Leaving the note in the chamber is a good idea and a copy in the butt stock is good backup.

quote:

We have done this.
Firing pins and springs on the stock bolt hole and a note stamped on copper shim stock in chamber.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote