New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mercury recoil reducer, yes or no?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My grizzly bear blaster is **slightly** anorexic. So, I'm thinking of adding some weight to keep it from slapping me around so much.
Is the mercury a good way to go?

EDIT
I'm going to add a clarification. I bought the gun from a guy here on AR who carried a lot, only shot it for hunting.
I will be shooting it quite a bit for a number of different reasons.
7.5lb 416 rem mag.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
No

You'll spend much more time carrying it than blasting. When blasting a griz, you won't feel the shot.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The mercury is more expensive than just adding weight, but is slightly more effective. I think it's worthwhile if the rifle is really knocking you around and the money is worth it to you.

dave

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I have a mercury recoil reducer I can screw inside the stock of my Blaser R93's in .300 Win Mag and 9,3x62.

Recoil reduction is there but minimal, while total weight goes up. I wonder if the result is due to the system or the extra weight.

When I see hair through my scope, I'm not aware of any recoil anyway, so I decided to favour weight reduction/balance and took out the recoil recucing tube.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
If you need more weight the merchant tube is more effective. You can balance with lead in Fore arm. If you aren't going to be packing it around, more weight helps recoil .

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39661 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
If you need more weight the merchant tube is more effective. You can balance with lead in Fore arm. If you aren't going to be packing it around, more weight helps recoil .

Merchant tube is not a term I'm familiar with. I would guess you are talking about the tubes that use springs and weights. Could you clarify? And name a brand if you like one more than others.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you carry the rifle for hours - shoot it for a second - keep it lighter - you never notice recoil when you shooting an animal anyway

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to add a clarification. I bought the gun from a guy here on AR who carried a lot, only shot it for hunting.
I will be shooting it quite a bit for a number of different reasons.
7.5lb 416 rem mag.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have installed them and I have two on my own rifles; they do reduce recoil, BUT, they are not free; they add a pound to your rifle, (using a 16 ounce brake), at the butt, which makes the rifle handle totally different; butt heavy. If you can live with the downsides, then they will work for you. Sounds like most of your shooting will be at the range, where the negatives might not matter to you. On a clear day you can hear the mercury sloshing around in there. And a dead weight will do about the same thing I think.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used and have several of them. I think they are just weight. If you REALLY want to reduce recoil, install a brake. Take it off when hunting.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Only had one. Compared to simply adding the same lead weight I couldn't feel a difference. The lead was a LOT cheaper.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good point; a brake does reduce recoil in a better way. Note; they are loud. Nothing is a free lunch. I have installed many of them.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
sorry.. DYAC - mercury tube

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39661 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 375 with the Mercury and a muzzle brake. It is a popgun to shoot but heavy and loud.
I built it to use in the safari rifle shoots but have used it hunting.

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote