Find
Notify
Tools

Ideas for a P-14 action.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of C. A. Plater
posted
I've got a line on a couple of P-14 actions that together I could make one good one. One is just an action. It's been over buffed and the magazine has been Bubba'd but the ears are still there. The other has the ears ground off and a Fajen stock with and lots of scope mount holes in the rasberry tinted reciever with what appears to be an original .303 barrel. The magazine is ummolested so between the two I figure there is one good project. What are some good calibers for the P-14 action?

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -- Thomas Jefferson
http://tcbunch.com

Posts: 181 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 21 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Just for the sake of giving you the range of options you want, what caliber range are you thinking of? 20-30? 30-40? 40-50? 50+

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if it were me, I'd likely start with the action with already ground ears and the "bubba'd" bottom metal. I assume you mean it was straightened?

As for the scope holes, that's likely not a huge deal. The right bases should cover any prior mistakes, or as a worst case, some skillful TIG welding, filing and polishing.

Lots of options, but these action tend to work well with longish cartridges similar to the original length of the .303/.30-06 families andcan be used to build some of the biggest of the big bores if gunsmithed properly.

Do a search here on the forum, lot's of good info on customizing the American Enfield action.

one of us
Picture of C. A. Plater
posted Hide Post
quote:
what caliber range are you thinking of? 20-30? 30-40? 40-50? 50+

I was thinking of something rimmed that would work well in the magazine. .30-40AI through say .45-100. I have a .405 custom Encore rig already and .348 has always intrigued me and I was considering another Encore barrel to go with the .405 but a bolt version would be fun if it would work.

quote:
f it were me, I'd likely start with the action with already ground ears and the "bubba'd" bottom metal. I assume you mean it was straightened?

As for the scope holes, that's likely not a huge deal. The right bases should cover any prior mistakes, or as a worst case, some skillful TIG welding, filing and polishing.

Straightened isn't exactly the word. While the hump has been removed and the magazine shortened, it bends to the left and is a very poor weld job. The other action has 4 holes on the top and 7 on the side. It appears there was an apeture sight(2), side mount(4) and a top mount(4) plus an extra hole on the side. All at least #8 from the looks of them.

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -- Thomas Jefferson
http://tcbunch.com

Posts: 181 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 21 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a good one in 303/25 ... too good to pull apart. My original intent though was to rebarrel to 303/35.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I bought 12 of these not to long ago the most fun so far has been 45-70 and pump it up gives great performance. 405 is on the list also 25-06 finished so far is 300 wm 338 wm (2) 458 lott 416 rem 45-70 7mm rem 375hh (2)

some p14 some m17 but same idea

con 303-25 I want to build one you have any load data or other info on it.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote