Notify
Tools

Laminate aftermarket stocks....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Folks,

Any body have any opinions one way or t'other
on Boyd's laminate stocks, especially the JRS? Or would you go with an Elk Ridge?

Value for money?
Strength?(would you put a magnum cal in one?)
Fit?
Finish?
Overall styling?

I'm looking to fit a Mauser with one.

Cheers

Pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete....go to www.scopeusout.com and check out the various stocks offered. They have a great reputation and I really like the classic looks of the Obiche wood.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Bruce Gordon>
posted
I really like the looks of several of the styles at Elk Ridge, and they have a good price on the adjustable cheekpiece and buttplate assemblies. Since I haven't actually bought one of theirs yet, I can't comment on the quality but the components I have bought from them have been of excellent quality and very reputable pieces.

Unless you want a sloppy inletting job stay away from the Fajen preinletted laminated stocks that Midway sells. I did buy one of those and the inletting for the trigger guard was quite a bit bigger than necessary. Since mine is a varmint stock and I was not really worried too much about the cosmetics I used some Acuraglas Gel to fix the problem. If it had been anything other than a beater I would have sent the stock back for a refund.

[This message has been edited by Bruce Gordon (edited 02-11-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,
I doubt that any aftermarket stock is going to fit the metal to my standards...I have some pattern stocks and I glass them and send them to a friend who turns the laminated stock to my pattern...egg cheekpiece, short forend, etc. I then add a Ebony F>E> tip and Fisher grip cap, recoil bolts on the big bores to dress them up a little, but they are still laminated stocks..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41834 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete...don't listen to Ray as I heard he keeps a photo of Janet Reno in his wallet.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB,
your hurting my feelings...I tied a pork chop around her neck and now my dog will play with her, so things are getten better.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41834 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote