THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Need pictures of custom 1917 Enfield bolt handles

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need pictures of custom 1917 Enfield bolt handles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like some photos and advice on Enfield bolt handles. My receiver should be back from Toomany Tools early next week.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This photo has been floating around the internet for quite some time, and is probably about the nicest job on a 1917 anyone will ever see. I believe Tom Burgess did the metalwork and D'arcy Echols did the stock.

Nice bolt handle, and those are Burgess custom Scope Rings as well. I think Tom made the bottom metal from scratch. Not sure whose safety that is. almost looks like a genuine pre-64 safety that has been adapted.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Yep - that pretty much kicks ass. I was going to pull the pic of the 1917 from Ed LaPour's site with his 3 position safety and straight bolt handle, but it is not finished (blueing, etc).

I'm building two 1917's and will use this pic as reference.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll try to find time to get a closeup of this tonight, but this is an original burgess handle that I just had installed on my knuckled crusher (the original dog leg happened to be very inconveniently places for my first knuckle).

I thought it came out great. Even my 2yo daughter wanted to play with it when she saw it (she was actually able to raise the bolt handle, with the firing spring I was impressed).

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Bucth, I would never touch/change the bolt knob or the safty on my Rem 30Ss. They work great the way they are.

Why does ever custom bolt gun HAVE to look like a Win Mod. 70? bewildered

To each his own.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Keith, The factory bolt handle looks butt ugly in my eyes. That is why it will get changed. I will leave mine alone on my Remington 30 if it makes you feel better.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.300 H&H:

.300 H&H:

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.375 H&H:

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.338 Winchester Mag:

P. Mark Stark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kevin and Mark. Just what I wanted to see.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch-

You are in great hands with Toomany Tools. He just finished up a VZ-24 action for me and did a fantastic job.

Be sure to post some pictures when you get it back. I, for one, would love to see it.

Thanks,

P. Mark Stark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will definitely do that. He was a pleasure to work with.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are beautiful bolt handles.
I could live with any one of them. Great jobs on the safeties too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
DMB-

Thanks!! The Bolt handles on the .300 H&H and the .375 H&H are both from Gerome Glimm, the safeties are from Ed LaPour and the metal work was provided by Dennis Olson.

The Bolt handle on the .338 Win Mag is a Jim Baiar, Oberndorf bolt handle. I ended up using a Wisner/LaPour safety on it as well. Metal work was provided by Tip Burns.

P. Mark Stark

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i would like a polished dogleg .. though I've replaced them too!

i like the factory safety, too .. though the lapour works great ..

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post

I think Mr. Burgess done all the work on this one. Got to handle it...some very nice work was done to this action.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow!!!!

That's gorgeous!!!!

P. Mark Stark

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Like Keith, I think the factory dogleg bolt handles look good too. The only change I would make would be tig the hole. The straight Burgess-style handles look good too.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
butch,,,,you got yourself some wonderful pics on a very good action. yes, do show a pic or two of your action. I am going to commision one to work my Rem. 30 into a HH hammer this summer..just not sure who yet.

hopefully you will get more pics posted by many here....cheers!

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
grizz,
I will be up your way the end of July. Probably be damp and misty as I remember it.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Never though an enfield could look so good

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:

I think Mr. Burgess done all the work on this one. Got to handle it...some very nice work was done to this action.

What I really like about that action is how the maker (Mr. Burgess) cut off that rear tang and welded a new one on. Makes the transition from action to stock a lot more graceful.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006: The only change I would make would be tig the hole.

Plugging the hole,is the only thing I did to both of my 30Ss bolt handles.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30 Caliber Mag Fan:
Wow!!!!

That's gorgeous!!!!

WOW+P Big Grin