New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 JDJ Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok, so curosity killed the cat. But, if a person wanted a rifle in 375 JDJ...what military action would he use

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I would use a miliary rifle which was originally built to function with Rimmed cases. For example, either the SMLE or the Siamese Mauser would work just tickety-boo.

Personally, I'd try to find a Siamese Mauser...there's not much worse than being miles out in the bush in Griz country and losing the clip to your Smelly. The other nice thing is the Siameze Mauser has a tapered magazine box, so the rim of a cartridge cannot get behind the rim of the one under it in the box. Makes the box a snap to load and very greatly reduces the possibility of a jam.

In a lever gun, a Model 95 Winchester originally made for either the Krag or the .303 Brit should also work just fine. I had a carbine in .303 Brit and it was never a problem.

Alberta Canuck

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i've shot one in a contender..
cute round for that gun...

235 at like 2300 MAXMXMAXM

If i built a bolt gun, it would be a p14

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Contender in 375 JDJ.......If I wanted to build something 375 on a mil action, I'd go with a 376 Steyr and never look back! The steyr will feed better (no rim), will fit the action properly and will out perform the 375 JDJ by a good margin!

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GonHuntin:
I have a Contender in 375 JDJ.......If I wanted to build something 375 on a mil action, I'd go with a 376 Steyr and never look back! The steyr will feed better (no rim), will fit the action properly and will out perform the 375 JDJ by a good margin!

and fits in my mexican mauser...

Heh.. From a fellow member of the super secret steyr owner's club

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe

I am surprised you didn't point him to the 376 Steyr in your first post! Big Grin

I really like my Steyr Pro Hunter in 376......big medicine in a small package!If it was stainless, it would be almost perfect!

Still thinking that my stainless MRC short mag action, coupled with a 20-21" stainless barrel and a nice synthetic stock would be magic.......I guess I need to visit with the guys at MRC and see if I can trade bolts......

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
GH,
I was talking with Harry night before last... and said if i did it again, or WHEN i do it again, my next 376 is going to be a mountain rifle.

The 375 jdj just isn't in the same class as the 376, so i figured he wanted one bad!!

jeffe

476AR,