THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    anyone have a Lee Speed sporter or tang safety Enfield?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone have a Lee Speed sporter or tang safety Enfield?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
does anyone here have a Lee Speed sporter with a tang safety? If so, I would appreciate a couple of pics of the safety with and without the stock on the metal, if that is not too much trouble. If you can help me with this then I'll name my first kid after you or something.

Or if you know where one is-for sale or not-I would appreciate a lead via here or a PM.

Thanks!

Marc

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have one now but Joe Morin in Houston just offered one to me within the last month.
I sent you a PM with his email contact.

Mike Davis
DRSS

Posts: 167 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Please post details on this particular modification. I'm a big fan of tang safetys and am always looking to learn more. Does this one use a Canjar side-safety trigger?

Thanks.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
no, it does not use Canjar or anything else. These safeties were made from the 1890's by the English rifle making firms. As far as I know, no company makes aftermarket triggers or safeties for the Lee Enfield even today.

I am going to make one from scratch and would really like to see one. I have a couple of ideas on how I can do it, but both are more complicated than I desire. I am hoping there is an easier way, which will result in a more robust safety.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification. I had no idea what you were talking about.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's cool! When I read your post I kinda figured I was talking apples and you were thinking oranges Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chisana-

here are a couple of pics showing the style of rifle and the safety in question.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I have one. I will take the butt off and take some pictures with my digital camera, but I'm no photographer. I will have to get the wife to e-mail them as I tried before to post pictures here with no luck. Give me a day or so. Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 450 Watts on a P17 Enfield built by H.B. Anderson with a tang safety. I don't know if it would be helpful to you but I would be happy to take pics.

The true measure of a hunters skill is not the size of the trophy but rather the length of the shot with the greater measure of skill being the shorter shot---Jeff Cooper

Posts: 399 | Location: Cass County, Texas | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jnc-

I THINK the P-serieds "Enfields" have a different safety arrangement, but I am not sure. It has been a very long time since I handled a bare action. If you could post a couple of pics, especially with the stock off, i could quickly see if they are basically the same. I know they are on opposite sides of the actions, but they may be a straight mirror image of each other.

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
Hello marc dont mean to hijack your thread but I would realy like to see the p17 with a tang safty jnc91. and the other as well lee440. If you guys dont mind.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fellows, I hope that you won't take offense at a minor correction, but there is no such thing as a P-17 Enfield. It is an M-17 Enfield, "M" for Model. The "P" designation is British for "Pattern", as in the P-14 Enfield. I know that P-17 is in common usage but we should not contribute to that misnomer here, when referring to the American, .30-06 version of that rifle.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
wow thanks

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
I've been interested in these for quite some time. They're hard to find, but there's one for sale now on gunbroker, a westley richards, no less...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=70272903

I always thought if someone were to replicate some cheapos to look like the sporters you show above it would be a nice hobby. I think there's a market for them since you see so few...

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Marc - If you ever get some pics of the tang safety detail, I'd love to see them. I've downloaded and saved some of the same pics you posted of the sporters, and have a few others as well. I have an enfield slated for a basic conversion sometime in the future (not a Lee Speed, though). I've been fascinated with these rifles since seeing one in a Rifle mag a few years back when Ross Seyfried was still with Wolfe doing his great monthly features. Got me started with Martini cadets, a hobby that's led to many, many hours in front of the lathe, mill, and workbench.

I've seen, for those interested, ads for a Lee-Enfield aftermarket trigger marketed by "Huber Concepts", I believe. A roller-ball at the sear contact for reduced friction. Nothing some polishing and good lube couldn't do, from what I can tell.