Find
Notify
Tools

Help with shadow line!!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
As I'm attempting to refinish a piece of Bastogne on the second rifle I built 30 years ago I remember why so many later ones didn't have a shadow line. Any hints on how to get it smooth up to the line and more critical how to keep the finish from building up in the corner!!!!!!!!!!!

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I use a small mill file to get that fine edge.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use mill file also...I use a scraper if need be...finish build up is because you use too much finish at one time..in crevises and corners wipe it off after application and wet sanding, you cannot wipe it all off and what is left is a very thin coat and thats exactly what your after. I fold 400/600 grit wet or dry several times and use the corners of the fold to wet sand in those areas..glue paper on popcicly sticks of various shapes for such work, use what you have to to get the job done, use the old head for something besides a hat rack! sofa jump

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Ramrod,
what fnish are you using? I would clean up the shadow with gouges/scrapers... and then thin whatever finish i am using to near water (depending on finish, depends on with what)... make certain the surface it prepped....

take some super fine paint brushes.... get a good strong light...

take a deep breath....

and hand the whole mess to my wife and go out in the shop to do something noisey!!!

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39622 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I do the small file, scraper, a small piece of walnut instead of the popsicle stick etc. I get the job done. However, someone is always posting neat little tricks to replace the hard ways. I hoped that might be the case on this.

I've pretty much always used Tru-oil normally thinned. Since this was my second stock I doubt I knew to do that then. I'm sure finish build up was the major problem on this stock. Looking at later stocks the edge is a lot neater and cleaner.

Ray I could give you a list of the people that would say that is the only thing my head is good for. LOL Hmmm hopefully it is the shorter of the two lists.

Jeffe wish I had that last options sometimes. LOL Guess it also time to check on one of those big magnifying lenses with the light around it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tha suggestions you have are good ones, and the only ones I know of as well. I might add something I learn more and more as I get older...patience. Every time you hurry it, you will not be happy with it. I took one stroke with a file last night and said "god that sucked" so I quit until tonight when I will hopefully be in a better mood about it.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote