New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need tougher finish
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have used Bennett's Z-Plate on 3 of my guns and I'm very impressed with the corrosion resistance. The Z-Plate wears off easier than I would like when dragging a gun through vegetation so I need something with good corrosion protection but hard as nails.

Have any ideas?

Thanks
Mike

Posts: 1851 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Industrial Hard Chrome.

A friend of mine had a few handguns done at a place in New Jersey back in the late 70's, and it made them scratchproof as well as weather resistant. I think he carried and used his Hi-power for three years, and it still looked like new.
From what I understand, you need someone who know their stuff to do this as it can change critical dimensions if not done properly.
I hope that helps.
P.S. it looks like a dull brushed stainless and I think the name of the place was SLG Hard Chrome someplace in south Jersey.

------------------
Don't tread on me!
Pennsylvania Frank

Posts: 1963 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ever tried a good slow rust blue from Doug Turnbull, that will last about 100 years and doesn't tend to rust as they are rust..only draw back is cost (about $300 minimum)...

I know! thats out of date, so save your breath guys

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Ever tried a good slow rust blue from Doug Turnbull, that will last about 100 years and doesn't tend to rust as they are rust..only draw back is cost (about $300 minimum)...

I know! thats out of date, so save your breath guys

Mr Atkinson, I hope Craftsmanship will never be out of date!
Have a good one

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I think the finish from Birdsong is what your looking for Mike. He can do it in OD green or black; or a combination of the two.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote