Notify
Tools

M77 CRPF ???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted
Gentlemen

Is a Ruger m77 MKII supposed to be a true CRF? The reason I ask is a friend gave me his new 300 WSM to sight in for him. The rifle feeds and ejects wonderfully but the cartridge rim does not slide under the extractor when chambering a round and it does not take very much effort to snap the extractor over the rim when the cartridge goes into battery. Please don’t start with the WSM’s suck. That’s not what this is about, I’m just curious if the average m77 MKII 30-06 or .270 are the same way. The guy that owns this rifle couldn’t tell you the difference between a controlled round feed and a push feed if his life depended on it and he is very happy with the rifle. Like I said the way the extractor jumps over the rim it kind of leads me to believe that Ruger made it that way for convenience sake.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Why would he have you site it in for him. You can put it dead nuts on, but when he shoots, it will not shoot the same spot. Everyone's eyes and position of the rifle are different.

If he cant take sighting his own in and does not know anything about them, he should probably not own one.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2603 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I don't know about a WSM , the Mk II s in general *should* function as a controlled round feed. There may be burrs on the bolt face, action rails , or extracor prventing normal feeding or the extractor tension may need adjustment . Chances are , a bit of polishing would get it working in true CRF fashion ........

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hikerbum:
Why would he have you site it in for him. You can put it dead nuts on, but when he shoots, it will not shoot the same spot. Everyone's eyes and position of the rifle are different.

If he cant take sighting his own in and does not know anything about them, he should probably not own one.

All true. . . but what are friends for. We have more time, we want to try the thing,
and at least we can get it pretty close for the
less gifted. :-)
JL.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it's a hemaphrodite... *I* don't believe it to be a "true" CRF, but it can be made to function like one...

it also can work as a PUSHFEED with a huge extractor

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote