Notify
Tools

My Next Gun or Where The Heck is Ray?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted
Ray-

Check it out, man. I KNOW you're gonna DIG THIS!

Lee Six fiberglass stock with lead poured in. Barrel block. Has a .30 barrel, but it has a high round count. I'll get a new one and chamber it in 6.5 Gibbs (like my Light Gun). Action will be my Trued Remington 700, scope is B&L Elite 4200 6-24x40. I don't know about that paint.........I'm thinking metallic lavender with candy purple scallops, like a '50s hot-rod. Bad-ass, huh?? hehehe

(Ray- yes, this is all meant in fun)

Posts: 7485 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LDO,

One of the benchresters out here has stock painted up to look like Zebra.

I use to have 4 guns that were made on Aluminium stocks we have.They roughly look like a skeleton with 3 in wide forend.

Mine were in 270 and 300 Win and were repeatersand painted real bright.

While the average shooter would react like Ray, non shooters, with out pre conceived ideas, thought they looked great. Kind of like a space gun.

Our main barrel maker has one with a straight barrel that he has fluted to the maxuimum and the barrel looks like a wheel of one of those paddle wheel steam boats

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
Mike-

Can you post photos of the rifles you mentioned? I would be really interested in seeing that sock. I want to come up with an aluminum stock for a light gun. I'd LOVE to see that barrel too.

Thanks, Lee

Posts: 7485 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LDO,

I have no picture.

But I will try and find some for you somewhere.

The big flutes on the straight barrel are real BIG.

Denis Tobler also does some with super thin flutes, they sort of look like the fins on a motor bike engine

The alloy stocks were mainly used for benchrest where some shooters did not want to do the glue ins that were necessary with hollow fiberglass stocks. They were also used quite a bit for field shooting.

Also, because of the sleleton forend, the rifles look great with either Heavy Varmint barrel or even a real light barrel.

The stock shape was originally based on the Rem 40 X stockfrom the mid 70s

The forend has two rails on the top and two down the bottom and they joing up at the end.

There are also two vertical struts between unpper and lower rails and one strut across the bottom rails. A lot of shooters use to put a sling swivel in the bottom strut.

For single shot rifles the mid section was sort of like an H with the upper part of the H being cast round.

For repeaters they are solid right through the action area.

I use to glue in and they were good for this because of the super thin glue line.

I would bed in devcon and then stick the stock right on top of an electric heater. Would get the stock close to water boiling point. Devcon would cure in 15 minutes or so.

After the glue in I would heat again and the epoxy glue would just turn into very thin consistency and run everywhere.

I had 4 Rem 700 Stainless in them and could switch barrels and bolts between actions.

I sold mine a few years as ago as those sort of rifles are always being tested and my ears (even with muffs and plugs) were no longer up to that with fast calibers.

These days if I go to the range I take a 375 and fire off a few round nose Hornadies and then have a cup of tea an a smoke and a talk and don't worry about ballistic coefficients etc.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LDO is on LSD here i is!!

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41857 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Bet it will drive tacks at 1000 yds, but it sure is "UGLY"! I can just see Ray heading for the pot!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
also DUGABOY1
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote