Find
Notify
Tools

Diamond-Like Carbon Plating--Casidiam
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
I was looking at this Company for things like plating the bolt, but my response I got from e-mail was unintelligible. Seemed really odd!

http://www.casidiam.com/

This stuff looks the best of the platings I have seen so far, but like I said I got a very odd answer.

Has anyone used them for plating of barrels, actions or other gun parts? I see they do a bit of racing engine parts etc.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I was afraid of that. No one has had any experience with this type of coating?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I saved the link... I'll call them and see if they will do a bolt handle... woudl be SLICK

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
talked to them today...

the CAN do bolts, but they want several as this is a batch process to be cost effective..

CoF down to .02

catch - all parts have to be micropolished...

neat process, from the sounds of it.. would love to see it in progress!!

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Did you get any indication of pricefrom them? I like the properties of the coating.

I really was hoping for some high tech coating that resembled a good matte blue, but was a lot tougher with the elements.

One of Us
Picture of RayGunter
posted Hide Post
What about applying this coating to the throat and first inches of bore?

Sure might reduce throat wear.

Ray

...look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 117 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Well I am interested to find out more
about this type of coating. If anyone has more information and experience please share it with us!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
at this time, it's an outside only coating... due to process and control...

it's rather thin.. i forget exactly what thickness but IIRC, he said like.000014 or something crazy like that...

hard as heck, CoF .was crazy low

VERY hard (no galling)

and had down some auto pitol frames.

the price for 1 or 10 bolts was a couple hundred, directionally

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I had once considered trying one of the coatings such as TiN, TiCN, TiAIN on a rifle bore to see how it affected accuracy and wear the coating process is generally pretty simple, fast and cost effective.

These are the coatings used on carbide tools and endmills, it is extremely durable and wear resistant, but it is yet another project on the back burner.

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TiN, TiCN etc are put on a couple of different ways, Chemical deposition which will coat ID's, but requires post coat polishing (hard to do on the ID of a chamber/bore. This process takes place at about 1000C, so re-heat treating is required also.
The other methiod is Physical deposition, which takes place at much lower tempratures, and dosn't require post-coat polishing. However it is a line-of-sight process, so on the ID of a hole you can figgure that the coating will only go 1 to 1.5 times the hole diameter down the barrel.

I don't know all the details of the process, as I'm only a "plant maintenance supervisor" for one of the larger tool coating companies.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks a lot like the boron carbide/dlc type finish bodycote offered for a little while. It was pretty popular as an aftermarket coating on custom knives for a little while till bodycote got to big to do one off jobs. (I could be spelling all this wrong) I believe they now do the slides on the kahr diamond finished pistols. From all reports when applied to a proper materiel etc. It was superb. However when they coated aluminum or soft steel they had some problems. Because the coating is incredably hard but super thin It can only do so much to protect the material underneath it And it could still be damaged.

one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
The process i was lookking at was done similar to powdercoating parts have an electrical current run through them then the coating is pumped in as a gas adhering to the parts. we used to send out inserts and mills to be coated like this after they were reground.

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bwanajcj
Your speaking of the Physical deposition process I mentioned above.
We apply up to a 1000Volt DC bias to the part, the metal (Ti) comes from a cathode that has up to 100Amps DC applied to it. The rest (N or CN) comes from the metal reacting with the gas that is being pumped through the system.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote