THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of a live gunsmithing channel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm just testing the waters right now, I'm not sure if I will actually do this or not.

What I have in mind is setting up a ustream live broadcast channel and using webcams around my shop to live broadcast(and record for those who miss the live show) some of my work.

Right now I am only set up to broadcast my engraving block. I used my laptop and a webcam to give a demonstration back in June, so I already have the equipment in place for broadcasting the engraving. I would have to buy some new cameras for over my various work benches and machines and get them wired into my computer in my shop office before I could broadcast the rest.

Anybody who has been to my website has seen some of the documented builds I have done, and I've been asked by a couple of people if I could do video. With the cost of the equipment coming down considerably and the ability to interact in a chat format, I thought maybe I would pursue running a live gunsmithing channel out of my shop.

If I do this I would probably try to announce on my website a few days in advance what I was planning to work on and what times I would be broadcasting and that would give people an opportunity to tune in if it interested them and ustream would allow me to record the broadcast and leave it on the channel for anyone who missed the live show.

Let me know what you think?

Thanks

Colin

Question:
Would you watch a live gunsmithing channel?

Choices:
Yeah, it's a great idea
No, you are wasting your time
Don't care

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it would be a great idea. I would watch it. Hope you give it a try.

Posts: 1665 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
I think it'd be a good idea. Would give the average guy a good working knowledge of what is involved in doing what they think are simple cut and dried procedures. Assessing the situation, or task at hand, setup and rounding up tools, modifying tools- sharpening tools ect..., doing the work, checking your work for function, and fine tuning-polishing. And while all of this is going on the clock is ticking, and this is being done by someone that knows what he is doing, it just might give the layman a good working knowledge of just why the job cost's what it does. And don't forget visual aids of what it might look like if it goes bad for some reason or short cuts are taken.
I once built a rifle for a friend of mine, and he was their to watch most all of the work being done. He did want to put the finish in the stock and I was more than glad to let him do that, hell it was his rifle. After it was all over and we went to the range he told me he didn't really realize that their was so much work involved in building a rifle. After that he never questioned my time schedule on doing something for him.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Brownell's and others have YouTube channels. Check it out; this may be more economical than your solution.

Good luck either way.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a fellow gunsmith, I think being able to watch another working the craft a very good idea. Most of us work alone and develop our work processes in somewhat of a vacuum regardless of how many good books we have read. I take every opportunity I get to visit the shop of another 'smith or any other craft. Somehow, I always manage to pick up at least one tip that makes my shop more efficient. Sometimes, I am the one passing on the tip. Either way, the craft, and our customers, benefit.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
talk to ed hubel FIRST

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39663 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you go the Youtube route, make sure that they are long enough. I have watched both the Brownells and the Midway videos online. What I have learned is that you only need to watch a 2.5 minute video to learn everything there is to know about glass bedding a rifle, barreling an action, refinishing a stock, etc. Some videos are well done, but they give the idea that it is much easier than it really is.

Posts: 1665 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Interesting thought. Might call it, As the Lathe Turns. Need to run a disclaimer banner on the bottom, "Bubbbas, do not try this at home."

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I'm getting a pretty positive response from everyone, I think I am going to do a test run tonight just so everybody can kind of see how this is going to work and be able to give me some feed back in the thread and then I will go from there and see what happens.

Right now I am only set up with video at my engraving bench, so this will have to do for a test run.

So tune in tonight at 8pmCST(Northeast Kansas time for those who don't do time zones well) and I will do an Engraving demonstration similar to the one I gave at the Gunmakers hall at the NMLRA back in June.

Here's the link to my UStream Channel: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/stolzer-gunsmithing

From testing this earlier between computers at my house, it runs a commercial (how UStream keeps it free) before it start the broadcast. It was also a little slow loading at the beginning, took it a minute or so before the picture and audio came up after the commercial(be patient). It uses Flash Player, so if you don't already have Adobe Flash Player(or a different flash player) installed on your browser You will need to do that to see the video.

Colin

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Brownell's and others have YouTube channels.

some of the Brownells videos are so lacking of any important details that they are not worth warching. just don't make that mistake & you will be good to go.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have often thought of doing the same thing and calling it "Fools Rush In" or something like that.
I really think video of me stumbling accross the shop and falling over my welder, after a bolt broke on my barrel vice, would be entertaining to many. Somewhat less entertaining would be a ten minute video of me looking for the headspace gauge I was holding in my hand; or the glasses on top of my head.
The subtle comments I make to myself after doing a beautiful job of chambering and fitting a 280 Rem barrel only to find I've fitted it to the action belonging to a guy who wants a 25/06 might be appreciated by the more advanced viewer.
Some of the really advanced techniques, like the use of a MMC checkering tool to checker your own thumb, would certainly be popular both with gunsmiths and emergency medical personel.
Yeah, I think there is a market out there. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3767 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you missed the live show and want to watch it, it is recorded at the same link and should auto-stream if you go there.

Colin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Colin, I watched your video last night. Very, very informative. I had little knowledge what was involved beyond little hammers and little chisels. I'm not much of an "artist", but I can follow a line. While I have no plans to dive in head first, I am going to get some gravers and give it a go. probably confine it to engraving caliber on replacement barrels for now. Thanks much. I look forward to your planned expansion, video wise that is.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What do you think of a live gunsmithing channel?

I think watching paint dry would be more interesting. In my case, it took a 'smith eight months to put on a buttpad. I have better things to do-- like post on AR...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote