THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Largest caliber for large ring small thread Oberndorf mauser. Pics added for lindy2

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Largest caliber for large ring small thread Oberndorf mauser. Pics added for lindy2
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a single square bridge large ring small thread commercial Oberndorf action made in 1912. It is of standard length. I am wondering what would be the largest cartridge one can safely barrel to, with and without having it recarburized/hardened? I believe the square bridge was professionaly added, but looks original. Is this action at a higher risk of warping if I were to have it carburized/hardened? One builder has told me that warping is a strong possibility. Second opinions are welcome. Thanks

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
why are you calling it a commercial action?

can we see some photos of it.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Any cartridge you would put on a LR/LT Oberndorf receiver of the same period. Modern Chrome Moly barrels make that entirely possible. It is not the hoop strength of the barrel that is an issue, if that is what you are thinking.

Posts: 17285 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
why are you calling it a commercial action?

can we see some photos of it.

Because that is exactly what it is. The top of the front ring is marked much like a Gev, but the left wall has the "Waffenfabric Mauser etc.." provenance mark. Commercial proofs, serial number on bottom behind the recoil lug, last two digits of SN on back of rear magazine wall. Is that proof enough for you?

I can't take a pic as it has been sitting in limbo in a gunmakers shop for a year or so. I've posted pics of it on here before, but I seem to have deleted them from my photobucket and my computer. I won't be doing anything with it anytime soon, as I bleed some money between jobs recently, and my next gun related priorities will be to tackle a couple of single action revolver projects. This action just came to mind, and I was contemplating what to do with it when the time comes.

Thanks for the advice Tom.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lindy2,

I dug through hundreds of pics on my iMac and found these pics that I took a couple years ago. The bolt is not original.

Matt
FISH!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is that a 30-06 length action, if it is a 30-06 length action with a single square bridge it is apparantly a very rare action indeed and quite valuble..They were made on special order for Wesley Richards to use with the .318 WR rifles Im told...I would not butcher that action up for a magnum caliber but it sure would make a nice 9.3x62 or .318 WR both of which would feed without alteration in the one I had.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

This is a standard length action, but I didn't measure the magazine length. However, I believe it likely made for 57mm case length rounds. I bought this action from Roger Green a couple years ago, and he thinks the square bridge was added. I'll have the inside length of the magazine measured. I think a rifle in 9.3x62 built along the lines of an early 350 Rigby would suit my taste. Way down the road though.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty damn nice.

According to Olson's book that one was also used for 30-06 and .280 Ross. (push button floorplate release)

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
A trick you can try Matt. De-grease the rear bridge of the action really good with dish soap and water or alcohol. Let it dry and then hold it over a bowl and pour cold blue (don't put it on with a cloth, pour it) over the rear bridge and after the blue takes a bite (a few seconds) run it under hot water to stop the action. If the bridge has been welded the different steels will show different coloring or bite. You can buff off the cold blue with scotch brite pads.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
458 winmag or 450 marlin, depending on mag length.

I too vote for a 9,3x62

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking action! What abrasive leaves the finish looking like that?

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
9.3X62 or 404 Jeffery.

Classic English finish with nice straight grained English walnut, oil finished & rust blued.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11243 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
I am wondering what would be the largest cartridge one can safely barrel to, with and without having it recarburized/hardened?

Matt, Why would you have to recarburize/harden
the action, why not use it as is?
BB

Posts: 402 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
The 500 Jeff is acknowledged as the largest cartridge that can fit in the 98...OK...within reason!
Outfits like PAC Met can re harden properly and I've not had a one that warped

1: Small ring barrel, Duane
2: no, it's not - the 550 express is the largest you can put into a large tenon 98 -- it makes the 500 jeffe seem a little pale and fraile

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigbull:
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
I am wondering what would be the largest cartridge one can safely barrel to, with and without having it recarburized/hardened?

Matt, Why would you have to recarburize/harden
the action, why not use it as is?
BB

If I go with a low pressure round that I would not load warm, such as the 9.3x62, I might not bother with recarburizing. However, I would definitely recarburize for a higher pressure round. Recarburizing helps with preventing dents and gouges as well.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice!

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
The 500 Jeff is acknowledged as the largest cartridge that can fit in the 98...OK...within reason!
Outfits like PAC Met can re harden properly and I've not had a one that warped

1: Small ring barrel, Duane
2: no, it's not - the 550 express is the largest you can put into a large tenon 98 -- it makes the 500 jeffe seem a little pale and fraile

OK...havitcherway. That small ring config would be perfect for conversion to Acme theads. and I commonly don't give wildcats consideration.

What are Acme threads? Thanks.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like on a leadscrew for a mill. Takedown canidate.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK...havitcherway. That small ring config would be perfect for conversion to Acme theads. and I commonly don't give wildcats consideration.

okay, Duane -- we see what you did there

476AR,

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
What do you want to do with the rifle when you're finished building it? That's a pretty special action. Personally, I'd build a classic 9.3 (either 62 or 64 version) or a 404 Jeffery. If you want something bigger, I'd suggest a 458 Lott.

It'll cost a good bit of cash to scope that action properly and not loose the nice markings. If you're not going to scope it, there's no benefit to the 9.3X64 over the X62.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
What do you want to do with the rifle when you're finished building it? That's a pretty special action. Personally, I'd build a classic 9.3 (either 62 or 64 version) or a 404 Jeffery. If you want something bigger, I'd suggest a 458 Lott.

It'll cost a good bit of cash to scope that action properly and not loose the nice markings. If you're not going to scope it, there's no benefit to the 9.3X64 over the X62.

I'm really leaning towards the 9.3x62. A dovetailed or flip-up peep in the rear bridge is what I have in mind for a sight arrangement. I was unaware of the takedown thread option that Duane mentioned. Sounds interesting, but too pricey for me, though. Thanks again to all for all the advice!

Matt
FISH!!