New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aperture sights on revolvers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have any of you guys shot a revolver with an aperture sight? If so how well did you like it. I can't see well at all, so I was thinking it might help. I don't want to put a scope on my Bisley. Brownell's has some for Rugers.
Thanks.

Posts: 184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Should be no problem to make a rear sight as a peep to replace the existing notch. Make what you need out of sheet stock using the old one as a template.

My intuition tells me it would not work so well. An aperature rear sight works on the pinhole principle. It needs to be close to your eye. If it is, the small hole brings the front sight and target into focus at the same time. A larger hole is still better than an open sight since you automatically center the front sight. Aperatures away from your eye, like '03 Springfields and Ariskas are awkward. At least to me.

You might try pinhole glasses. They look like a metal seive. You get the pinhole effect on all sights that way. I have also seen glasses with a stick on ajustable pinhole. I can't tell you where to get them though. You can experiment by making your own. Use aluminum foil and poke a hole in it with a sewing needle. Hold it close to your eye and look through it. Does it help? In all likleyhood it will. You could tape it to your glasses for shooing as a stop-gap. If you like it a small black disk with a pinhole fixed to the correct spot on your glasses will do it.

[This message has been edited by scot (edited 04-09-2002).]

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
There have been ghost ring sights for pistols on the market for some time. I think that I recall reading they work OK for closer range applications, but didn't offer advantages.

Check Ashley Outdoors for example...

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's a ghost ring sight? I am curious.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pyrotek, a ghost ring sight is a large aperture peep sight. It's called a ghost ring because (due to the large aperture) the ring disappears once your eye centers in it and gets close. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Scott is right. On a pistol, you can't hold the aperture close enough to your eye to work properly.

<JBelk>
posted
The old target shooters trick of pasting an apeture to one glasses lens still work great.

You ever wonder why you see some shooters in the old photos that had a patch on the shooting eye side?

Try it before you dismiss it. I mounted one on a head-band.....looks like a spaceman's eyebrow.

<eldeguello>
posted
J. Belk, I always used the Merit Iris setup instead of a target paster with a pinhole in it!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eldeguello,

Glad to see there's someone around who's old enough to remember all the good stuff! You may even remember when a 1955 Model .45 Target was competitive because of its superior accuracy!

Did you ever sort .22 with the Merit rim thickness gauge?

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Yeah, Recono!! I do. When I was stationed at Yuma Test Station, AZ., (Now Yuma Proving Ground), I managed to wangle a place on the Post pistol team. They issued me a Clark-converted .38 Super (conv. to shoot .38 Spec. wadcutters) AND, a Colt Officer's Model Match .38 revolver, which was SINGLE-ACTION ONLY!! It might not have been quite as accurate as the Clark, but I have never seen a revolver that was better!!