New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to fix Safety of Model 70?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
On my Pre-64 Model 70, safety lever is jam. I have oiled it and applied WD-40, but no avail. What could be the possible reason and how to dis-assemble it?

Thanks for help.

Saad

Posts: 271 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Shikaree,

I don't have an answer for you. I was interested in reading the replies from those who would know, so I'm replying to bring the subject up near the top. Maybe it simply got overlooked the first time?

Beside, if I were living in Pakastan right now, this would be a high priority to me too!

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shikaree,

I assume you are meaning that you can't put the safety catch on.

A lot of M70s can at times can be difficult.

One problem that can occur is if the trigger is stoned for sear engagement and the job is no good.

Try and engage the safety with the bolt in a half closed position or 3/4s closed or some other position and see what happens.

If you can then enagage it you may have a trigger problem.

When there is a problem it always seem to be in putting the safety on, not letting the safety off.

Unless you have a spare rifle I would not recommend taking the bolt apart.

That is about all I can offer as I only use a safety to get the firing pin out and aslong as I can get it to the middle position I amin business.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a minor problem engaging the safety on my Model 70 when I bought it. I had to remove the firing pin spring and file the notch in the cocking pice a bit.Now it works very smoothly. It could be that yours has been forced to engage and is binding up on the cocking piece. Cock the firing pin by opening and closing the bolt. Now put the safety in the middle position IF you can move it. Remove the bolt from the action and remove the firing pin assembly from the bolt. If you can remove the spring from the firing pin it's much easier to work on the cocking piece.It's not difficult to remove the spring. If you have any mechanical aptitude you will figure it out.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

Brian,
Yes, you are right, I want it fixed as early as possible.

Mike, yes I can't move it into ON position nor into middle position. I dont think that sear was stoned. Here, not many people care for such adjustments.

Rembo,
Could you please mention the steps to remove firing pin assembly from bolt.

I will give it another try tonight. A friend gave me a book on bolt action rifles and I was follwoing instructions given in it for Model 70. Actually I dis-assembled bolt from bolt sleeve, but did'nt proceed further because firing pin spring was very hard and the instructions were unclear to me.

Saad

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post

Shikaree I will email you the complete set of drawings for the M70 safety & firing pin take down procedure. Yep that firing pin spring is VERY stiff!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 11-08-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 11-09-2001).]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no idea how one would file the cocking piece notch as it is case hardened...

Fixing that safty is a matter of finding the burr in one of the notches or where it is binding on the angled cut of the cocking piece. Its an easy fix and any gunsmith can fix it in an hour....basically a matter of finding the scar and removing it.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41880 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody.

Bear Claw,

Thanks a lot. I received your mail. Drawings seem very helpful.

Saad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for help every body.

Bear Claw,

I received your mail.

Saad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bear Claw,

Yesterday, I dis-assembled the bolt upto bolt sleeve. Removing safety lever was not needed. Safety lever works fine & smoothly with firing pin removed. The notch where safety bears had a few scars. I polished it using a fine sand paper and after cleaning applied grease.

After assembly, I found it again jam. But after applying a strong pressure it moved to middle position and then easily to third position. I worked it several times to break out, but it stills requires force to be engaged.

Do I need to file that area or just use sand paper?

Thanks for help.

Saad

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Saad i would put a small amount of very fine valve grinding compound in the notch and work the safety back & forth. This might get the safety to working properly & if it doesn't it will leave a mark where the safety is catching on the notch. Then you can clear this up with fine sandpaper on a wooden dowel rod.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you've nearly got it fixed. The cocking piece on mine was a bit hard to file but not impossible.Push the file slowly to keep the cutting speed down and it will cut.I could see where to file by judging the wear pattern on the notch. It didn't take much.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote