Notify
Tools

magnum action question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted
Definitely a novice here, so be nice.

I have a pre 64 mod 70 action. Originally a 30-06. Is it possible to make a magnum action out of this? maybe a 375 or a 458 wm?

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2590 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You sure can do. All it takes is money to pay the 'smith!

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The M70s are capable of handling magnum rounds but are not really magnum length actions. So yes, but it would probably be cheaper for you and less of a headache to buy one of the new M70s from FN with all the work done at the factory.

Posts: 523 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
People around here not nice?! Big Grin

I am not a gunsmith, so maybe I need correcting on this, however I think a 458 win being standard length would work fine in the mod70.

I will agree with viper on it as far as money goes. If you want a nice custom, yes it can be done, but if you just want a magnum you might be ahead, or less out, if you sell the pre-64 and buy an already made 70 safari express. I think I saw one for sale reasonable in the classifieds recently. I have one and love it (other than my face not liking factory stocks).

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
yes - though you'd be miles ahead buying the complete rifle from CZ or winchester ... or buy my Ruger RSM in 458 lott, which is better than all of the above .. its in the classifieds

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38596 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
All Pre-64s started life with identical external dimensions, then they got made into everything from 22 Hornets to 458 Win Mags and 375 H&Hs. If you have a standard Pre-64 it can be turned into a 375 or 458 (Winnie or Lott) rather easily.

A competent gunsmith can open the action and bolt face for your chosen cartridge. Keep in mind, it will require new bottom metal and mag box, along with increasing amounts of money as you move along the continuum from standard magnums to long magnums.

You didn't ask what's the cheapest way to get a 375 or 458 so I'll leave that to be answered by the resident experts.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike McGuire>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
You didn't ask what's the cheapest way to get a 375 or 458 so I'll leave that to be answered by the resident experts.

Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What ForrestB said, PLUS ONE!

There is only ONE old model 70 action.

I do find it a bit amusing that every custom built rifle using a 98 Mauser goes thru the same process in becoming a magnum of any sort that is considered nothing short of daunting here.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote