Find
Notify
Tools

458 Socom in a Rem M700 BDL DM.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello.

I'm looking for a magazine-solution for my Remington 700, BDL, DM.
It is actually chambered for a 308 Win, and are of course a short action.
I have now rebarreled it for .458 Socom.
My question for all the skilled smiths out there, is:
What magazine can I use to make this round feed properly. Does anybody make DM-magazines for 350 RemMag, 300 RSAUM, or 223 Rem??
Any suggestions?

*Treat problems like a dog; Take a sniff ..... If it can't be killed, eaten, or fucked? Just pie on it, and walk on!:-)

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one who have played with this combination? Roll Eyes

*Treat problems like a dog; Take a sniff ..... If it can't be killed, eaten, or fucked? Just pie on it, and walk on!:-)

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
No, you're not. I have a Remington 700 EtronX I rebarreled to 458 SOCOM with the intention of buying a supressor for it. The suppressor has had to wait but the principal was that the electronic ignition (no firing pin strike) combined with a supressor would make the quietest bolt gun around. Moonlit coyotes would be toast.

From a cost/benefit stand point I think it would be cheaper to ditch the DM and buy standard bottom metal. YOu may need a little bit of figgling with the feeding but overall that would be cheaper than having someone make a one-of-a-kind DM for the 458 SOCOM.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I've shot tigger's 458 socom remmy ... its pretty COOL

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39669 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 460wby:
Hello.

I'm looking for a magazine-solution for my Remington 700, BDL, DM.
It is actually chambered for a 308 Win, and are of course a short action.
I have now rebarreled it for .458 Socom.
My question for all the skilled smiths out there, is:
What magazine can I use to make this round feed properly. Does anybody make DM-magazines for 350 RemMag, 300 RSAUM, or 223 Rem??
Any suggestions?

Go with this in 308:

http://www.hsprecision.com/new_floor_plate.htm

It's a center feed which means you should be able to adjust the feed lips to make it work. That's what I would do were I you. It's a terrific unit BTW.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
From a cost/benefit stand point I think it would be cheaper to ditch the DM and buy standard bottom metal. YOu may need a little bit of figgling with the feeding but overall that would be cheaper than having someone make a one-of-a-kind DM for the 458 SOCOM.

There are no provisions for the use of a standard type mag box on the DM. In simple gunsmithing terms, it has been "hogged" out.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
sort of did this with a cut down belted magnum in a 308 700 with bolt opened up. 458 barnes. it worked there was no socom at the time. nice little thumper

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:

There are no provisions for the use of a standard type mag box on the DM. In simple gunsmithing terms, it has been "hogged" out.

I was thinking plastic stock but I see the "BDL" now. That would be pretty ugly I must admit.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
You'll have better results feeding through the HS Precision magazine if you use brass that doesn't have a rebated rim.

I realize you're probably already commited to a .473 bolt face...but,

If you open your bolt face up to .532, buy some Starline 50 Alaskan brass - cut off the rim and cut an extractor groove(Kiff will sell you a preformed cutter), trim to approximate length, run them through your SOCOM die, then trim to final length - you'll have a cartridge that will pick up a lot easier from the magazine.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fireball168:
You'll have better results feeding through the HS Precision magazine if you use brass that doesn't have a rebated rim.

I realize you're probably already commited to a .473 bolt face...but,

If you open your bolt face up to .532, buy some Starline 50 Alaskan brass - cut off the rim and cut an extractor groove(Kiff will sell you a preformed cutter), trim to approximate length, run them through your SOCOM die, then trim to final length - you'll have a cartridge that will pick up a lot easier from the magazine.

Hmmm.......
Interesting! But that sounds to me like a long way to go, even if I might be happier when I'm actally there. Shooting low pressure sub-loads I believe I'll have my brass almost forever.
I think I'll try to adjust a 308 magazine first, and see if I can get that working someway. Thanks anyway!

Arild.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
IIRC my SOCOM brass is 7.62 x 39 case rim diameter, not .473. It made more sense in the little 223 bolt head of the AR 15. I don't think we had to do anything to the boltface to make it work in the 700.

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Starline SOCOM brass is .473, Beowulf brass is .444/PPC/7.62x39.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 440 Corbon AR mags used a flat, shop made follower in a standard magazine and it worked fine. The original 458 SOCOM brass had the .473 rim diameter like the Corbon but the brass was longer so a flat follower may work here.

Posts: 385 | Location: Brunswick, GA | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote