Find
Notify
Tools

Remington M700 action not "centered"
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted
I received this from a friend, and thought it might interest some here...jim dodd

------------------------------------------------------
I have discovered, OK...... Jim Brockman did, that my nearly new (less than
3 years old) and not hardly shot at all Remington 700 VSLH is out of specs.

The situation is that the factory drilled holes for the scope bases appeared
to be just a touch out of dead center on the top of the action. This
required that I use all of my windage adjustment to get the scope
boresighted. Now being the hard headed person that I am I blamed it on the
scope. I put a brand new scope on the rifle, same thing!

I called Jim and he said to send it to him and that if it was what he
thought it was, the factory holes a bit of center, he could drill and tap
new 8x40 (?) holes in the receiver and that should cure the problem.

Jim verified that the factory holes were in fact not exactly on center and
drilled and tapped new holes dead center on the action. Guess what? It was
still out of center with the internal centerline of the action. Jim was able
to use a set of Tally "blank" bases and was able to make it so that the
centerline of the bases agreed with the internal centerline of the action.

Jim said that the internal centerline and the centerline on the top of the
action were out by about 9 thousandths of an inch. He also said that this
was getting to be more common on newer Remington and Winchester actions and
it was one of the reason that he was recommending that is you were going to
build a custom rifle from scratch you consider using a different action. One
of the actions he mentioned was the Nesika, http://www.nesika.com/ , and I
think he may of mentioned Dakota. Jim said that this problem was common
enough that Tally was making blank bases so that a gunsmith could correct
the problem by machining the base.

Anyway,,,, Jim has repaired it and plans on shipping it out to me this
coming Monday. The amazing thing is that he was able to correct the problem
and get the rifle back to me in about two weeks !!! Now that's service!

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My older Remington 700 has the same problem. I used Weaver style bases and Millet windage adjustable rings, now everything works just fine.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for a nice action take a look at the McMillan MCRT and/or the new action that Ed Brown is making...both ready to go as you get them.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
The best solution is simply to hunt down a few unaltered, older Remington 700 or Model 70 rifles for the actions. There are tens of thousands of these around, and many used specimens are available at gunshows, gunstores, etc. There is absolutely no need to make it a game that's restricted to current, new-production rifles, and I won't.

If you're careful and if you know what to look for (or know someone who does) you can hand-pick a rifle of two for the action and avoid such fiascos as you have described.

I just found a used, but mint (current version) Model 70 that's about seven years old at a local gunsmith's. I speced it out, and it proved to have an excellent action. I bought it, and as part of the deal this gentleman pulled the barrel for me and took $150 off the purchase price for the barrel, stock, and other parts that I didn't want. It was a good deal, and that action will build into a good rifle.

One thing should be made clear: Re-drilling for 8X40 screws can work very well to get the holes lined up properly, but this proceedure should really be done AFTER the receiver face has been squared, or else the odds greatly increase that things will remain crooked.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Burris Signature rings can also help with this without having to go the custom bases route.

It stuff like this that has people buying custom actions like the Nesika, or picking up the CZ actions for less and having them worked over.

I hate paying for quality that isn't there.

------------------
I know the next rifle will be perfect.......

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a firm believer in surface grinding actions, squaring the front if needed and hand fitted bases...when this is done then and only then will detachable scopes return to zero with precise accuracy and only then if properly done by a skilled artesian. Be sure the bolt face itself is square to the world or all is lost. It's the little details that count on a DGR.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Guess what, HunterJim!! There are A LOT of factory rifles whose scope mount screw holes aren't exactly where they oughtta be!!

<JBelk>
posted
Just to clarify a detail---

You cannot *redrill* a crooked hole straight. A drill bit follows the old hole. The proper way is to bore it or, to make it simpler, have a 3/16 inch carbide end mill reground to .140 OR buy a 3.5mm carbide end mill and make a holder for the shank. Then, in a vertical mill, carefully bore the old hole out straight and retap to 8-40.

one of us
posted Hide Post

[This message has been edited by scot (edited 04-30-2002).]

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scot:
I have used a Redfied one piece base when the rear most hole is cock-eyed. Shimmed lots of two piece bases. IF you shim one side of the base you can tip the whole ring. I usually glue the base to the receiver with epoxy when I shim somethng. Not the best solution but it works fine for the average hunter.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote