THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    I need a K98 action worked over (surface grnd, polished, carburezed). Recomendations?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a K98 action worked over (surface grnd, polished, carburezed). Recomendations?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I don't want to sell the farm to have this done. I want to keep the original bolt handle shape as well, just polish it up. I am going to have Krieger chamber and install a 9.3x62 barrel, and the American Gunstock company will slap on a rigby style stock with all the trimmings. My action is an S42 1937 action. Please don't recommend me to use a more refined action such as a 1909 Argentine or some such. Big GrinI'm using what I got. Thanks for the help. Big Grin

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
try jim kobe or mike mccabe.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38607 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tou have a PM

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I think the S42 is a better choice than the 1909. Anyway, I would like to see some pictures and progress reports on your project. I also have a S42, but haven't decided what to do with it yet. Mike McCabe is z1r on this forum. Highly recommended.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike McCabe is z1r on this forum. Highly recommended.

Yes, and he's somewhere around Littleton, very close to Ft. Collins by comaprison to Jim Kobe who is in Minnesota.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either would be good. I wouldn't let distance bother me.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could attempt to do it yourself. See New Guy's post concerning this subject.
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=352104138#352104138

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would trust Jim's or Mike's barreling job over Kreiger's. I am 99% sure they will both be a good bit cheaper as well. I do not know of any barrel maker that I would want to install a barrel. There may be a good one, but I do not know of them.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,
I am not going to try to talk you out of anything on your action, including having Krieger barrel it. John Krieger is a good a barrel maker as there is and he will not cut any corners doing a good job for you. He is a regular member of the American Gunmakers Guild and he has not earned his reputation by doing subpar work. Jim Kobe and Mike McCabe are both friends of mine and would do you a good job and I would not hesitate to recommend either of them, but do not get the idea that Krieger is not going to do a fine job also. Krieger's reputation stands for itself.

One comment I would make though, if you are talking about Great American Gunstocks, GAG for short, you might do a search on here and satisfy yourself that you will get what you want. There are horror stories galore.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of your recommendations. I really apreciate it.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic-

what you are saying is correct. I am totally confident that Krieger will do a perfect job for this situation.

I should have explained my response in a little more depth-plus it has been brought up several times if Matt wants to search for it.

Folks on this board and a few other places are usually looking for someone to perfectly dial in the bore at the muzzle and breach ends before they start to chamber. I don't know of barrle makers doing this, but as I said in first post some may well chamber in this manner, but I do not know who they are. Plus it is one of those things where someone can say they did it, but if they did not there is no way to tell.

This effort is totally wasted on a hunting gun, save for a true long range varmint gun. It is one of those things that folks read about over and over and eventually feel like it has to be done. I do it this way, but will admit it is for psychological and not practical reasons. It really burns up a lot of time for something that is not needed in a big game rifle. They typical big game rifle will outshoot the typical big game rifle shooter.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc,
Kreiger chambers in the steady rest.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope to reproduce an Iron sighted 350 Rigby (Only mine will be 9.3x62) that was showcased in Ken Waters "Favorite Rifles" in "Rifle Magazine" severall years ago. Benchrest barreling techniques are not necessary, but I do hope it will shoot better than I can. (That won't be hard!)

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of murkan mike
posted Hide Post
How would I contact either of these 2 reccomended gunsmiths? Do they have phone numbers?

Mike

Posts: 84 | Location: A transplanted Texan in Germany | Registered: 13 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim's Gun Shop

Address: 10841 Oxborough Ave. So. Bloomington, MN 55437 USA
Voice: 1-952-884-6031 Fax:
URL: http://www.angelfire.com/mn3/jkobe/
Email: Jkob60@aol.com

Or Mike McCabe at http://www.mccabeguns.com/
-Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called Mike McCabe today. My action will be in the mail soon.

Matt
FISH!!