Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

760 or 7600 for rebore?
 Login/Join

posted
I have search for anything I could find on re-boring a Remington 760 or 7600 and I've found tons of good information. I intend to have this done either to 35 Whelen or 338-06, I haven't made up my mind on which one yet. I only have one question. I've read up on the differences between the 760 and the 7600, the difference in the locking lugs is one thing I've found. So, is the 760 a good choice for this project, or is a 7600 better? A gun dealer friend of mine has a like new 760 BDL in 30-06 that I can get reasonably, but I'm not sure whether to get it or wait for a 7600 to turn up. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 42 | Location: columbia, sc | Registered: 20 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 700xcr
posted Hide Post

Posts: 191 | Location: Kennewick,Wa. | Registered: 20 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
The 7600 is by far the better choice. Remington corrected all of the design faults that they had in the 760 when they went to the 7600. Most of it was in the lockup which added more camming power on closing and opening and a system that allowed making all of the lugs bear more evenly without the costly machining tolerances needed for the tiny lugs. The new locking lug system also solved the over ride, receiver deformation problem that they had with the 742.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I know about 35 caliber, I've checked him out and I'll have him do the work if I have one done. I'll just wait for a nice used 7600 to pop up. Thanks again.

Posts: 42 | Location: columbia, sc | Registered: 20 August 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
7600 --- that way you don't get the "that part's no longer available" when you have bolt issues

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
7600 --- that way you don't get the "that part's no longer available" when you have bolt issues

Good point. The 742 and 760 were orphaned a long time ago and existing parts stocks are getting mighty thin!

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I can hardly think of a bigger waste of time and money, except for maybe the guy who called to ask me if I’d covert his Arisaka type 99 to .45 ACP, but that’s sort of makes America great.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Oh, no; any time you convert any small bore rifle to a .35 caliber you have instantly and magically created a real rifle instead of a plinker.
No hate mail please; I get enough now.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, If you convert the Remington pumps to 22x243 or 243 Winchester and use a short barrel that's just stiff enough to let the pump operate without contacting the barrel and hang one of those umpteen round magazines out of it, you have a hell of a coyote rifle. Those rifles will shoot exceptionally well and still give you all of the firepower needed to track down running Yotes. They will out shoot most any semi auto 7 days of the week.

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, sure, for those scrawny, mangy wild dogs, that would work.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Yes, sure, for those scrawny, mangy wild dogs, that would work.

I bet the woodchucks in your area keep the coyotes thinned out pretty good, huh? he he he

Rod Henrickson