Find
Notify
Tools

Cartridge ID quiz...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
See if you can tell by shape and proportion what these two cartridges are:

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
left: .30-06
right: .50BMG

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try these

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bore Fan:
left: .30-06
right: .50BMG

BINGO! First one out of the chute... I guess that was too easy for this crowd, eh? Cool

I just added the .50BMG to my (cartridge) collection last week and was struck by the similarity in proportion to the .30-06. Here they are relative to one another:

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try comparing a 40 mm Bofors round with the .22 Hornet. Except for size they are nearly identical.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Liles:
Try comparing a 40 mm Bofors round with the .22 Hornet. Except for size they are nearly identical.

Jerry Liles

So what does that say for cartridge "design"? Just find something that works and scale up or down, right? (or neck up/neck down...) Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I am not mistaken, you can compare a .222 Rem, 7x57 Mauser, .30-06, and a 50 BMG to get the same result.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
That was John Brownings style. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
The BMG is case and point.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Basically, it was easy. the .50 bmg and .30-06 are unmistakable.

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote