New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Dont pull the trigger" or the sequel Ruger #2
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A few years ago I got a phone call from a hunting buddy and friend with the cryptic message that he had a rifle I could not live without. So, I bit and asked the obvious. Answer: Ruger #3. OK, what do you want for it? My MK 10 .22-250. I said good to go and we met a few days later for the trade. My friend with the Ruger was about 55 at the time and in rather good shape. Good enough to do one hand pull ups all afternoon and drink a beer while doing so. I witnessed this feat several times. This is vital information to the story. We met and he handed me the rifle. Yup, a Ruger #3 all right; 45-70 to boot. I am happy with the trade. Larry says, "There's more for you in this deal." and he hands me a box of Weatherby .460 cartridges minus 2 rounds. "What's with these things?" I ask. The reply: "That's what the Ruger is chambered for." He then related the story of the 2 fired rounds. Larry is built like a wedge on 2 feet and likes his beer. Well, Friday night and well on the south side of a six-pack and after dark for effect, Larry decides he needs shoot his new, to him, acquisition. The first shot is from the hip with the sling firmly wrapped around his forearm leaving the rifle in the front yard, Larry in the back yard and the sling no where to be found. Great, thinks he, now from the shoulder. Mistake #3 or 4 at this point. When Larry and I met for this transaction it had been about 3 weeks since the "incident" ahall we call it. I noticed he was rather deliberate exiting his truck and asked what was amiss. He took off his shirt. The entire right side of his torso was black and blue and his arm the same to the elbow. He said this was rather mild compared to when he was bleeding all over and more colorful a week or so prior. Needless to say I had the barrel pulled immediately and had it cut off just past the chamber so no other beer would tempt another such folly. I still have no idea what gunsmith would do suck a thing to so light a rifle. Kind of like grinding a square bridge so them Weaver rings fit better, eh?
I have since located and fitted a #1 barrel in 45-70, a nice piece of English marblecake and attached a curved Savage Mod 99 lever. Hence the Ruger #2 designation. I am sure there are those who will call what I did an abomination. So be it. I feel I eliminated a few medical bills.

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
'some alcohol involved", The start of alot of stories and proably ought to be put on a few headstones.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Frith:
I still have no idea what gunsmith would do suck a thing to so light a rifle. Kind of like grinding a square bridge so them Weaver rings fit better, eh?

The question might be asked, "What person would hire such a thing to be done to such a light rifle in the first place"? News flash, there are a lot of stupid people out there wanting really stupid things done to their rifles. And there will always be someone willing to do it. And it didn't necessarily have to be done by a "Gunsmith". An internet gunsmith perhaps. Someone with a lathe and access to a reamer.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perfect for those famous (or is it notorious?grin) last words, "Hold my beer and watch THIS!"
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I rechambered a Ruger No 1 in 45/70 (admittedly a much nicer rifle to shoot than the No 3)to 45x 2 5/8. The customer sent along some ammunition featuring 500 grain bullets at about 2450 fps so I could test the rifle. I fired one and sent the rest of the box back with the rifle. I think he fired two more. I'm not the man I used to be and never was man enough to take that kind of abuse. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3571 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
a #3 to 460? it weighed what, 6.5# ?

nah, i'll pass, thanks

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38603 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#3 is nasty in 45-70 when you push 500 grainers through at 1900 fps.

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I couldn't keep a #1 in .45-70 in my shoulder when I loaded 50 gr. of IMR-4198 and a 500 gr. CGC. The recoil literally whipped the rifle out of my shoulder on recoil. I could not image in my wildest dreams re-chambering to .460 WBY.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At the Austin Texas Gun Show several years I saw a #3 that was converted to 375 H&H. From a 375 win I presume. The guy that was selling it said shooting it was an "event".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I set up at a gun show next to a guy with several large calibers big game rifles- one was a Farqharson type single shot in 600 nitro there were two boxes of ammo with it, one was missing three rounds. I asked him "What,once was not enough"- He said "No, third Owner"

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I saw a 7#, 378 Weatherby at a gunsmith's once. It wore a brake but I still wouldn't touch it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12592 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
a #3 to 460? it weighed what, 6.5# ?

nah, i'll pass, thanks

I am amazed! I thought you would be one of the select few to shoot this one! By the way, my Ruger #3 is a 22 hornet! Wink

Posts: 5707 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Jeff, I agree. I obviously passed on the .460 by removing the barrel. Six and one-half pounds it was. As others have stated the #3 originally stocked with .45-70 full house loads is a hand full. I have fired a few rounds through this Ruger #2 with the new stock and is not bad at all. It has a classic configuration with little drop at comb and heel and sports a Neidner plate. I also feel the pistol grip and 99 lever help tame the recoil a bit. Thanks for the replies. Should I have posted this thread in the Big Bore section? I thought the topic had mutual relevance.

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Masterifleman:
I couldn't keep a #1 in .45-70 in my shoulder when I loaded 50 gr. of IMR-4198 and a 500 gr. CGC. The recoil literally whipped the rifle out of my shoulder on recoil. I could not image in my wildest dreams re-chambering to .460 WBY.

My thinking is that the slick steel plate of the original stock contributes to the slipping out of the shoulder pocket. My buddy who shot the thing in .460 was the most bruised I have ever seen a human who survived such a blow. The bruising included the muscles in his back all the way to his buttocks. Why there were no torn internal organs I can only guess.

Stephen