New
Find
Notify
Tools

Installation Technique [Recoil Pad]
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'd like to hear from some who would be willing to share their recoil pad installation technique(s)...

I need to cut LOP and install recoil pad on a few rifles...Wood Stock rifles....

What type of tools do you prefer using for each stage of the process...saws/tpi...belt-sander/palm-sander/grits?

Got any pictures to share...anybody have a tutorial to recommend?

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I use a mitre saw with the finest carbide tipped finish blade I can afford. I tape the stock on the good side of the cut line and whack it in one smooth movement. I use an 8" disc sander and 80 grit , electro coated, resin bonded discs to cut and finish the pad.

I use the "B-Square" recoil pad jig. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewP...productNumber=556014

Follow their instructions. Good luck!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westpac....Thanks tu2

I'm thinking of using a Kickeez recoil pad...

I've done three rifles so far...I've gotten progressively better BUTT not PRIMO yet... rotflmo

I really want this one to come out PERFECT...

Do you finish entirely on the jig or do you prefer FINISHING the recoil pad attached to stock?

Was thinking I may use the jig til I'm close then taping off stock and using fine paper/sanding block or palm-sander 150 grit? bewildered

BTW- Will a CHOP-SAW with a new, fine-toothed blade suffice?

What TPI would you recommend?

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I use a table saw with a fine tooth carbide blade. I cut a wedge out of wood to prop the stock up on as to be square with the world.
Lots of blue masking tape to protect everything.

I built my grinding fixture thanks to brownell's giving just about a blue print worth of dimensions on all their part and fixtures. I grind down with a disk grinder. Grit depends on the finish I need. 60 to 150 grit on the disk up to 400 on the polisher.

The B square jig is about the easiest to use but it requires a large disk grinder to work as the pad is way up in the air so a little 6 or 8 inch disk won't work. As my girl friend says "you need 10 inches or more to get the job done" Big Grin

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
I use a table saw with a fine tooth carbide blade. I cut a wedge out of wood to prop the stock up on as to be square with the world.
Lots of blue masking tape to protect everything.

I built my grinding fixture thanks to brownell's giving just about a blue print worth of dimensions on all their part and fixtures. I grind down with a disk grinder. Grit depends on the finish I need. 60 to 150 grit on the disk up to 400 on the polisher.

The B square jig is about the easiest to use but it requires a large disk grinder to work as the pad is way up in the air so a little 6 or 8 inch disk won't work. As my girl friend says "you need 10 inches or more to get the job done" Big Grin

I hear ya rotflmo rotflmo flame

One of Us
posted Hide Post
here is how i do it:
i remove the old pad and drill out the holes for wood 3/8 dowel pins and epoxy them in place.

after glue has cured i use blue tape and determine how much of the stock has to come off and determine the pitch. i draw a line around the complete stock.

i put it in a jig i made to hold it still and put a new 32 tpi blade in the hacksaw. i then cut on the waste side of the line into the stock about half way. i flip the stock over and cut in to meet the original cut.

i then use a vertical belt sander to sand to the finished side of the line. mark the new pad hole location and install the pad. i scribe a line in the pad base with a very sharp pointed scribe around the stock. remove the pad and saturate the endgrain with polyurathane until it wont absorb any more. let it dry

i mount the pad on a b-square jig. i use a bright yellow carpenters crayon to fill in my scribed line so i can see it better. i grind almost to the line with 80 grit on my belt sander. i change to 120 grit and finish grind to just touch the yellow line.

i remove the pad from the jig and wet sand using 320 w/d paper on a sanding block with armorall as the lubricant to completely remove the yellow line.

mount the pad back onto the stock and you are done.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by max(hm2):
here is how i do it:
i remove the old pad and drill out the holes for wood 3/8 dowel pins and epoxy them in place.

after glue has cured i use blue tape and determine how much of the stock has to come off and determine the pitch. i draw a line around the complete stock.

i put it in a jig i made to hold it still and put a new 32 tpi blade in the hacksaw. i then cut on the waste side of the line into the stock about half way. i flip the stock over and cut in to meet the original cut.

i then use a vertical belt sander to sand to the finished side of the line. mark the new pad hole location and install the pad. i scribe a line in the pad base with a very sharp pointed scribe around the stock. remove the pad and saturate the endgrain with polyurathane until it wont absorb any more. let it dry

i mount the pad on a b-square jig. i use a bright yellow carpenters crayon to fill in my scribed line so i can see it better. i grind almost to the line with 80 grit on my belt sander. i change to 120 grit and finish grind to just touch the yellow line.

i remove the pad from the jig and wet sand using 320 w/d paper on a sanding block with armorall as the lubricant to completely remove the yellow line.

mount the pad back onto the stock and you are done.

Thanks!

I just may have to go with the hacksaw true-up on belt sander...and thanks for the tip on the yellow crayon in the scribed line tu2