Tools

Where can I find a epoxy ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted
I am not going to use it on a gun
But I figured a gunsmith whould know where to get it

I need to bond small pieces of steel to a larger piece of steel thin steel and need decent strength

Soldering or any heating is out , as even low temp solder is causing things to warp

I seem to remember reading about a epoxy? that a gun company was using to atach ribs to barrels

I believe it is also used to bond car bodies

Even if it isn't cheap , it would solve a lot of problems

Thanks
John

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loctite Black Max. It's a super strength adhesive/bonding agent.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx...t/BLACK_MAX_ADHESIVE

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Black Max is great, but you better be fast.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I don't want to get to technical but there are about a bazillion type of "epoxy"

So I know what you are bonding. But is the surface rough, smooth polished??

What kind of load is going to be placed on the joint and how much force. i.e. is it a compression load, tensile, shear??

Black max is good but not my first choice. It's more like super glue.

I'd get some 3M Scotch-Weld Epoxy Adhesive DP460

This stuff will bond to just about anything and is very strong in adhesion strength and joint strength.

The other thing is if it's going to be a large surface area bonded Some 3M 3357 contact cement is the stuff to use. once glued together with this and it's never coming apart.

RS huges has them both

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well finally something I'm qualified to answer , about time !.

http://www.ellsworth.com/displ...tid=936&Tab=Products

This is an excellent site for product information and selection , note left side products column .

Click away or upper right the adhesive Doctor will guide you . As they have outlets nearly everywhere

or once you select product source it near you .

kcstott ; They're in your neck of the woods CLOSE . I often use them . tu2

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
Thanks

It will be smooth parts bonded to a smooth surface

It will mainly be shear force , with some compression

Looking at the choices
I am sure I will find one that will work

Now I just need to get the OK from managment to order some

Thanks

John

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
loctite 380, blackmax ... spread, clamp, wait.. at least an hour, if its not a tight fit ... heck, wait an hour anyway

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I copied this on another site. It's good info.
For knives, I use Devcon and Conop. 98% of my jobs require slow cure epoxy, and I only use the 5 minute epoxy for simple repairs where time isn't an issue, and strength is a none problem.

"Epoxies are designed to have very specific purposes, and fall into 3 general categories - adhesive, structural, and laminating. Further, there are several types of glass cloth both in the type of glass and whether the surface is treated or untreated with adhesion promoters/wetting agents. You need to select the epoxy and the glass to work with each other. For stocks you want a laminating epoxy and the right glass to go with it. The forend is going to be pretty easy, as it isn't all that structural, unless you're modifying where the action screw goes through or the recoil lug area. You're going to have to be careful in the grip area, as it is structural - it's transmitting both compressive force and a moment (rotational force). If you're just building up the grip, no worries, but if you're making significant changes you'll need to get it right."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, West Systems might have an epoxy you could use. I've never used it, but many guys do use it with good results.
I'm sure they have a web site, so a google would put you in touch with them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
could try JB weld also!

Posts: 49 | Location: the Evergreen State | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Look up T-88 adhesive. It may well solve all of your serious gluing problems.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never mentioned where I buy my epoxy.
My local hobby shop has Devcon, both 5 minute and slow cure, so I buy that from him.
For other specific epoxy needs, I buy from knife supply houses; Sheffield Knife Supply in Deland, Florida, K&G Knife and Gun supply in Lakeside, Arizona, and Jantz Supply in Oklahoma.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of you may prefer to try this outlet ,as they are one of if not the largest distributors of ALL

of the following . Normally have Excellent stock and rapid shipping times .

http://www.ellsworth.com/display/online_catalog.html

Ellsworth Adhesives is a global corporation specializing in the distribution of specialty chemicals and equipment. We distribute a wide range of adhesives, sealants, lubricants, coatings, encapsulants, tapes, soldering products, surface preparations, specialty chemicals, maintenance and repair products and dispensing equipment. Not only is our product line extensive, but we are the only integrator specializing in the supply and logistics of specialty chemicals.

One particular strength of Ellsworth Adhesives is our people and their ability to work across many industries in the engineering of adhesive and dispensing applications for our customers. Additionally, we excel at the logistics of supplying our products accurately and on time whether it is to a single location or many locations throughout the world. We will be available to you every step of the way from order to application with technical support and service from over 50 field application engineers.

Our latest effort to enhance customer service includes an online chat feature staffed with the finest Glue Doctor® experts in the industry.

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John

I have had very good luck with the 5 minute epoxy branded and sold by my local Ace Hardware store. I have not seen any direct comparison of epoxy products, and I don't know how one could directly compare with so many different products out there. The Ace brand is good stuff, much stronger than I will ever need and available quickly. That has value for me.

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RogerR ; And anyone else . Simply click on Ellsworth web page find a product by Type ,application or brand .

When looking at that brand of adhesive ,sealant or Epoxy for which there are SEVERAL TYPES , click the DATA

SHEET . It comes up as a PDF document and give complete properties ;lap shear peel strength compression

elongation water absorption chemical resistance Etc. . It's one of the reasons I post it all the time .

It simply gives YOU the BEST PRODUCT for YOUR PARTICULAR NEED . It also gives Test methods by which those

properties were derived and must conform too . Industrial chemicals by far out weigh local store purchased

products in most all cases . Freshness is also a factor and anyone who has purchased from a home center

probably knows what I'm speaking of !. If you have a $ 300.00 dollar Rifle maybe it's not not that important.

However if it's $K's and needs a dependable adhesive or something critical ? .

My choice is Industrial Professional products but it's a personal preference , not for everyone .

Point is the Ellsworth site allows YOU to make an INFORMED DECISION !.

salute archer archer