Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP w/ Rem. model 30 conversion
 Login/Join

posted
Have had gun at smith's 2 1/2 yrs, all parts to build 458lott conversion on barreled reciever. Was supposed to have already done the conversion work but now wants an additional $500 to complete!! Have lost faith in him! Does anyone think the original mag well and trigger guard can be kept? Would it be best to get a new assembly from Wyatt? Is this going to have to have the bolt face opened up and ejector work done? Is this guy jerking me around? Anyone have ideas, suggestions or recomendations on how to/someone who can do this and an approximate cost on just this operation? Am into this 3k+!!! HELP

Posts: 1 | Location: WV | Registered: 02 January 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Might want to post this on the gunsmithing forum further down this page!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
If it's a model 30, yes. You'll have to open up the bolt face. You will need some feeding work and magazine work done.

It's possible to keep the factory magazine and modify it to gain the necessary internal length. Ditto on the trigger guard.

I know you have already spent some serious $$$, but best route would be to send it to one of the gunsmiths that frequent these forums. John Farner , goes by toomanytools, is who I would recommend you contact.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
ah, the devil is in the details
We can't judge what's been what, but you can ...

1: did you agree on a price
2: did you pay him
3: GO AND INSPECT "progress" MADE --- anything bought? any work done, mods made .... or, frankly, did he loose something
4: have a CONVERSATION about what has changed, why is exactly going to cost more, and then why you are paying all of the difference, if there's a change in material purchasing price, due to his delay? WHY are you being asked to pay more than the agreed on price, what has been done, whats to be done, when can it be done, etc etc etc....

5: if nothing has been done, lost, or broken, its an easy decision to make if you want to continue that relationship ..

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39661 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If he has charged you $3k, and now wants more, well, I better not say what I am thinking that he did to you. That is way over billed unless he did vastly more work than just the conversion. I a sending you a PM.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
It should not cost $3K to convert a M30 30-06 to a big bore. Mainly a new barrel, front sight, blue, bolt face, feed ramp and perhaps a little magazine work. I had one converted to 458 Lott a few years ago for about $1200 which included the above, tigging the bolt knob hole and repointing the checkering.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have built many big bores on the Rem mod 30, and Id say it should not cost you more than $2000 and that includes all the bells and whistle such as new barrel, surface grind, Mod. 70 safety, trigger, barrel band sights and swivel, all the magazine and feed work, or even a quarter rib. Give Dennis Olson a call in Plains, Mt.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote