New
Find
Notify
Tools

NECG universal front sight question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
on the Universal sight ramp that has elevation adjustment and interchangeable blades, can you change blades without messing with the elevation setting ??

Is it a generally well made system or does it fall into the 'contraption' category ??

Thanks for any advice

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
moved to gun smithing....

universal ramp... it's rugged and adjustable
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got one on a rifle, and generally like it.

You can't swap without changing the elevation. If I feel the need to swap out blades, I get out the dial calipers, measure from top of sight to bottom of the barrel, and then adjust the new blade to match. Gets you close.

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have one on a Krieger barreled 405 Mdl 95, and one on a CZ550 in 416 Rigby. Have had NO problems with either. I use them with red fiber optics blades. ERA makes precision sights. Quality is excellent.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info guys

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by free_miner:
on the Universal sight ramp that has elevation adjustment and interchangeable blades, can you change blades without messing with the elevation setting ??

Is it a generally well made system or does it fall into the 'contraption' category ??

Thanks for any advice

It would work if the bead height was correct when bottomed out (adjustment screw all the way down). Otherwise, you must back out the adjustment screw to pivot out the sight bead and you would loose the previous setting.

Very well made but lots of pieces, parts, nooks and crannies to collect moisture and get surface rust. I needed to loctite the hood locking screw on mine as it needs to be backed out far to keep the lip from riding over it. Once adjusted and set it has held up to scabbards, bumps and knocks.