New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who shoots a .358 Norma Magnum?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone here shoot a .358 Norma Magnum? I've not done so myself, but according to the data in loading manuals, it seems to get very near to the ballistics of the .375 H&H. Why hasn't it ever caught on in America?

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lack of availability of brass, the "not invented here syndrome", Norma's weird "Re" stamp for reloadable on the brass, the 338 Win Mag, lack of good bullets until recently, and too much of a good thing. It's still one of the best medium cartridges around though. Try 79 gr. of Accurate 4350 with a Nosler 250 gr. Partition. 2850 fps and good groups. Have fun. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up 60 pcs of brass at the local gun shop. Ordered some used dies on the Net. Now all I have to do is find something to shoot it in. I have been thinking of getting a barrel for my T/C Encore, maybe a 35 Rem rechambered to 358 Norma. For some reason I have a thing for the slightly oddball calibers. It seems I'm seeing 358 Norma mentioned a lot on the forums these days. Over on the TC forum on Graybeardoutdoors.com there has been several threads on the 358 Norma.

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
<auto>
posted
I have a .358 Norma Magnum that is built on a Springfield. I have made brass from the .300 H&H case and also have bought new brass from Huntington's, and the old western scrounger. I also have wondered why the caliber is not more popular. Some say because the .338's got all the hype in the press. Now that everyone is getting excited about the "short" magnums, maybe someone will revive this grand old cartridge.

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
You can get 358 brass by just necking up the 338 Win Mag

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 338 brass I tried necking uo ended up just a wee bit short, but still functioned ok. Midway gets the brass once in awhile, and occasionally I come across it at gun shows and in shops. It's not really common though. Certainly worth the trouble if you want a medium bore "thumper" that isn't run of the mill. What does that Encore weigh? I imagine that recoil would be stout in that rifle. Have fun. - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I too have a (well actually two) 358 NM and have enjoyed shooting the caliber for many years. With a 250 gr. bullet and Norma 203 powder, the ballistics are impressive. I'm shooting one of the first factory chambered rifles for the cartridge, the Schultz & Larsen Model 65 DL. It's long discontinued, but still a well made rifle on a strong if a bit unusual action.

I used it in '94 to take a nice elk in northern New Mexico. Perhaps a bit overpowered, but it sure worked well for me.

I most recently picked up 120 pcs. of Norma brass on a closeout at Midsouth shooters supply. Graf and Sons lists Norma brass, as does Huntingtons although I can't speak to its availability. There are some great bullets out there now that can withstand the higher velocities, so I hope that helps increase the popularity of this one.

By the way, I mentioned I have 2 S&L's. One's for sale.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
<RussT>
posted
Either Graf or Weidners has loaded 358 for under $30 a box. Availability of brass is sporadic thanks to what would seem to be Norma's random production schedule.
I built one on a Mauser action and enjoy it.
It is sort of a balistic twin to the 338 Win.
One beauty of the 358 is that you can load cheap pistol bullets for plinking.
It will remain somewhat obscure for the reasons listed in the previous posts.

<yorick>
posted
FWIW....Eric the Ammoman is selling factory 358 Norma ammo in his 'odd lots' page...$250 for 7 boxes

http://www.ammoman.com/webstore_oddlots.htm

[This message has been edited by yorick (edited 01-07-2002).]

<Ozhunter>
posted
I had a look at dimensions on the 338 and the 300 win mags and it appears that the 338 is a tad too short at the shoulder to be really safe unless you used a fireforming load, howver the 300 is a bit longer than the Norma and i imagine could be necked up fairly easily witha tapered expander.

I haev thought about this for my Whelen as a conversion however Brass is the real issue, whereas Whelen is quite plentiful.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a .358 for several years. A fantastic round. I let the rifle slip away a year or so ago. I have about 50 rounds of brass somewhere around if anyone is interested.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Taos:
I shot a .358 for several years. A fantastic round. I let the rifle slip away a year or so ago. I have about 50 rounds of brass somewhere around if anyone is interested.

What do you want for the brass? Email me back and we can probably arrange something. - Dan