New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sims limbsaver recoil pad installation
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got finished installing a "pre-fit" sims recoil pad on a remington 700 LSS. Anyone who says these pads are easy to install must have a different rifle than mine. The original pad was terrible and was glued on. So I had to cut it off and trim off all the excess rubber. Then the stock had a metal inlay that stuck out passed the stock causing the pad to not fit flush with the wood. I had to grind that metal inlay down so that the pad would fit. I couldn't grind it all the way down without risking hitting the stock, so I then had to make a recess in the pad itself for the inlay. After about an hour, I finally got an "okay" fit, not perfect, but will do for now. I'm no gunsmith at all, so I probably went about it the hard way.

So, have you guys installed any of these limsaver pads? Did you have the same issues I did? What would you have done?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JB, done a grind to fit on my Browning BPS 10 -took some time but well worth the effort.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i do the grind to fits... the sides of the pads look better..

Justin - it seems that your specific model has issues with a pre-fit, that would have been tough for any pad

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
I put a Limb Saver grind to fit on a SAKO with no problems at all. Sounds like you just got a tough rifle to start with.

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I figured it was just my luck. The original Remmy pad did have a recess for the metal plate. If I'd know it, I would have never even attempted it, but after removing the factory pad, there was no going back.

Anybody know what the metal insert in the stock is for?

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The metal plate was probably part of the base of the original pad. When they glue the pad onto the stock it becomes bonded to the butt so tight the pad tears off of it. If you have to do it again you might be better off just sawing the butt right behind the pad. Then inlet and glue a wood block to attach the new pad.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Makes sense, probably was part of the pad.