Find
Notify
Tools

Argentine 1909
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted
Saw one of these in a gunshop in Bellevue today. It's all original military, the action is in the white. Gun is either a beautiful original, or it's been restored. I have no need for such a rifle but the price was 530.00.

The gun was beautiful.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It all depends. If spending $530 on a 1909 Argentine to put on a rack so you can look at it and say you own it turns you on, then its probably a good deal. However, if you want it for the action to build a custom sporter its probably not a good deal becasue they can easily be had for $200 or less.

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what their worth, and only know about them from what I've read by some of you here. I did find the bottom metal unique however.

I have no idea what the collector value of one is.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you found a "collector" rifle. Matching #'s are nice but mean nothing to someone who plans on a custom with that action.

You can find some OK 1909 actions with the bottom for around $175-$200 and some really nice one's around $250 at least that's been my experience.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Numbers all matched.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that price is a steal, I've seen them listed on the web in the $400s.

One thing to check is the country crest. Argentina ground most of them off.

It is cool to hear that gems like that are uncovered every once in a while.

Regards,

Dan

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong, but I suspect everyone who says you can pick the actions up for $175-200 hasn't picked one up in the last 18 months or so. Two years ago, you could buy good barreled actions on the web for $125. I have been seriously looking for almost a year, and the very few I have found cost around what a good mint rifle costs, which is about $500. The bottom metal has generally been bringing $125 to 150, and I have seen a lot sell at this price.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Art

I have a pretty nice one (Barreled Action) rechambered to shoot 30-06. NO bottom metal though. $275.00 if your interested. I also have a 1908 Brazillian which is identical to the 1909 Argentine that has had a lot of custom work already done to it (new bolt handle welded on, lugs lapped, ring and bridge ground, tang slot opened, faced, etc. with no bottom metal for $275.00. so they are around. You can buy bottom metal on ebay every once in awhile for $50-75.00

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure that 1909 wasn't in DJs in Bothel?

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I got one in a trade the other day that had been sporterized.
All numbers matched and the caliber was left alone,I was going to rechamber it but it shoots
to good. Big Grin 7.65x53 2600 fps with a 180 grain .311 bullet.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3077 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

Where are you seeing VZ-24s for $100? I'm seeing $130-170 for the Russian rebuilds,

Good Mausers are getting scarce. If there were good bottom metal offerings for the intermediates, I think the'y be dried up also.

Dan

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Dan,
be warned, the first one has some racey hottie holding the vz

this one has no reserve
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=35726432

this one is 95 bucks, buy it now..
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=35705576

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=35685818

then again, a local ripoff shop has something that was a mauser 98 before 3 decades under the shower room floors at a stable, with pits like the surface of the moon for 395... cuz it is "vintage"

right next to a 299 chicom sks

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate good, old-fashioned marketing!

And a VZ24 under $100 is a good deal. How often do you unload with the bottom metal anyway?

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
A 1909 for over $500 better be a super-duper collector; matching numbers and in very good/original condition. The bore should be bright and shiney. It would be a shame to break up such a rifle for the action. There are plenty of 1909's out there with good actions (matching receivers/bolts) but pitted-dark bores for under $275.

Other good action donor rifles (good actions/poor bores) are 98/22's and the VZ-24's.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
tnekkc,
not at DJs. It's at estate arms.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you sure that 1909 wasn't in DJs in Bothel?

It was in "Estate Arms" right off of Northup in Bellevue.