Find
Notify
Tools

1898 Krag Barreled Action Question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
I would like to have a flat recessed crown done on my 1898 Krag. I believe it was one of the CMP/NRA versions that were cut down 22" in the late '20s

The Barreled action looks like it would be impossible to chuck up in a lathe W/O removing the receiver from the barrel.

For various reasons I want to avoid taking the barrel/receiver apart.

Is there an easy way to do a flat recessed crown W/O doing that?

I have a local machinist that, although not a gunsmith, he is capable. I would like to have some input before I take it to him.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure! Have not had a Krag barrel in the shop lately, but. I think it would have to fit through the headstock and have a spider on the outboard end, I think 22" would fit in mine.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
There's various tooling available to do the job adequately without a lathe. For revolvers I use piloted reamer that works quite well, and it would work the same on a rifle.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Not sure! Have not had a Krag barrel in the shop lately, but. I think it would have to fit through the headstock and have a spider on the outboard end, I think 22" would fit in mine.

Hi Jim: The problem's not the barrel, but the big box magazine hanging off the right side of the receiver.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The CMP Custom Shop might be able to do that for you. http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/custom-gunsmithing/

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pacific Tool and Guage makes piloted crown cutting tools that do not require the use of a lathe.

Posts: 41860 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
This is an easy job but not all lathes will take a 22 inch barrel with receiver. If you do not trust your 3 jaw, then center it up in a 4 but for a flat crown, it will be fine. Those hand job tools cost more than actually machining it.
Don't spin it too fast or you will get some serious vibration.

Posts: 17176 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
This is an easy job but not all lathes will take a 22 inch barrel with receiver. If you do not trust your 3 jaw, then center it up in a 4 but for a flat crown, it will be fine. Those hand job tools cost more than actually machining it.
Don't spin it too fast or you will get some serious vibration.

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of input I was looking for.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
In certain circumstances I like the hand-jobs, Eeker but pulling the barrel and indicating the bore in a four-jaw chuck will produce the best results.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote