New
Find
Notify
Tools

other things a sandblaster is good for?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Curious, other than blasting parts prior to rust bluing, what other things, not necessarily gun related, could a eprson with a blast cabinet do to make it pay for itself?

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Sandblasting small metal parts! Seriously, anything you can fit in the blast cabinet that needs the surface prepped or blasted.

Also, the people I used to work for at the stained glass shop got their start in the sign business by making glass and wooden signs with the logos sandblasted in.

Once you have a hammer, you start to see nails everywhere. Likewise with a sandblast cabinet...

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well, technically it would be "bead blasting" for the gun work.

Be very careful what you blast if you are going to do metal finishing. The media will pick up contaminants from the parts. This will wreck your blue job if you are not careful.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sandblasted glass too, for awhile- you need a large cabinet to do it. we did our own work and had artists, etc, bring theirs to us to be done. that end of it is a racket, and profitable for the artist.

bead blasting is used to anneal welds, also.

I've gone to blasters since then to get old paint knocked off of metal furniture that I was refinishing, etc.

contamination, using the machine for different tasks, could be a problem.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote