Find
Notify
Tools

Brno Model 21 project
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Guys

How about a bit of fun with a concept like this - say a guy had just gotten his mits on a tired but cheap 1954 Brno Model 21H, DST, 7x57, stock is plain and hard used but in reasonable condition, barrel is shot out, but the action is just sweet, although the bolt has been altered to accomodate a lower scope mount style. He already has a fine 7x57, but has a hankering for a lightweight 6mm Rem (with a fast twist) or a 257 Roberts.

He is a hunter of modest means who likes a very functional wood blued rifle rather than a someone of more artistic expectations, sort of like someone who admires a Ruebens original, but can only afford Playboy centrefolds !!

Do any of the other small ring stocks fit this action (not many stockmakers list the Model 21 as a standard pattern) ??

Does any other mauser bottom metal fit, if say one was going to a single trigger ??

Does any other mauser safety fit ??

What would the weight likely be with a barrel that matches the original contours, in the original stock ??

What would you do ??

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
any M98 safety, Trigger Guard, trigger, small-ring-standard-length stock fits. A #1 or at most #2 contour from the various barrel makers will give you a similar weight, but you will have to really work on the factory stock to get it to fit. WIll never look totally "right" but then again it depends on what you are willing to accept.

You can sell the factory bottom metal with triggers if it is factory condition. Also, the bolt handle only allows you to use extra high rings. I use extra high rings on my 21H, but I shoot with my head pretty erect and don't crawl the stock. Sell the bolt to someone who is trying toi make their rifle original and swap it for any M98 bolt with low bolt handle.

If it were me and I wanted to use the action for a custom rifle then I would sell everything else and go from there. But it won't be too cheap and it will definitely cost more than buying a factory rifle, so if saving moeny is yoru goal-sell the rifle and use the money on a used rifle in the caliber you want. I guess what i am saying is how much do you want to spend? those actions and parts are valuable in the States.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it should have a nice little safety on it, no?

the stock design is pretty classic, and should/could be turned on a fine piece of oz walnut.

if you are going to chop it up, do the 257, and fast twist, so you can shoot 120grs. then again, fast twist in a 257 is 8 or 9.

Marc,
isn't an intermediate length? like if it was a small ring m48?

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
standard M98 length

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Sell the parts on ebay. Old commercial Brno parts bring big bucks on ebay.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Consider selling the parts to me, I have one I'd like to restore.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
marc,
thanks!
j

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A buddy here has a really nice 7x57 barrel for a 21H laying around here, let me know if you can use it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if that 21 H barrel would fit on a G.33/40 actoin without too much trouble.

one of us
posted Hide Post
yes it will. both SR, so screw it in and check head space, adjust as necessary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
yes it will. both SR, so screw it in and check head space, adjust as necessary

I've messed with two in the past and on both the OD was .985" instead of the normal .980". It wsn;t simply a mtter of reducing OD, the threads had to be chased so that they were deep enough to clear in the receiver. Not a big deal but not as simple as screwing it on and adjusting for headspace either.