Find
Notify
Tools

weld up or bead blast and blue?
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
This is a BRNO with the pop-up peep. When I started polishing, I noticed some small pits (inclusions in the casting.)

I've filed as far as I want to go, and they aren't going away.

Should I have it welded up or just put a heavy bead blast (like a pre-64 M 70)on the reciever when it's blued?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Coarse bead or sand blast eould be the easiest way.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Chris, I agree with Doug, beadblast with Aluminum Oxide and blueing should do a nice job.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
welding would require a fine touch to eliminate weld sink that would be deeper then the pits.
Bead blast it as stated above it should hide pretty well

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
weld it up. Bead blasting will still let the flaws show after bluing. They will stick out like a sore thumb

ETA-depends on what you are trying to build. Sinking any money into it to make it nice? THen weld it up. Looking for something more functional and not too concearned with how it looks, then blast and blue.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote