THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    suggestions for long range semiauto tactical rifle platform

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

suggestions for long range semiauto tactical rifle platform
 Login/Join

posted
I have long contemplated my next custom long range tactical/hunting rifle, but have failed to launch for various reasons. I have primarily focused on bolt actions, but recently started thinking that semiauto might be a better option.
Does anyone have experience based suggestions about what platform I should consider? The AR-10 is an obvious consideration, but I would like to hear pros and cons. I would like to keep the weight down, because I will hunt with it. I do some long range shooting with friends and need it to handle +/- 100 rds in a session. Thanks for any help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a hard look at the JP 308 AR.

It is one of the most accurate semiauto 308's I have ever shot. And I have shot a "few" match preped M1-A's...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AR-10.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
well, what do you consider long range, and what are you hunting?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Weight seems to be a problem with most .308-based platforms. The LaRue OBR gets some excellent reviews for a .308 but is not a lightweight.

What cartridge did you want to use?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
1000 yd would be max for targets and 600 yd would be max for hunting. Elk is my most likely game at this time, but I hope the future will bring more opportunity for deer.

posted Hide Post
6.5-.284 would be ideal, though I realize the potential problems with feeding. My best compromises seem to be .260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, or 7-08. The .270 WSM is appealing, but unlikely.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you considered an M1A?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite is a H&K 91...

I have hunted deer and antelope with one...

And, I have used one as a "work gun" in harms way...

WITH PERFECT SATISFACTION in both cases.

IF I could have only ONE RIFLE I would pick my H&K 91...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PT-91.

As a defense MBR the fact that you can buy thousands of surplus (German made, for the HK) magazines for $2 apiece has some appeal.
They are being made in the US these days.

Rich

I am in the process of moving to them, ask me again in six months.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homesick:
I have primarily focused on bolt actions, but recently started thinking that semiauto might be a better option.

What was the thought process that brought you to this conclusion? And, are you going to hump it, or, shoot it off a rest?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ArmaLite AR-10T
308 for medium range
300 RSAUM for long range

All are proofed/test fired

ArmaLite AR-10's don't use PLASTIC magazines

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Going to be expensive and a little difficult to find one but the best I have used is the SR-25. The others are hit and miss on accuracy in my experience.

Have had several SR's and all were tack drivers as well as sone cold reliable.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm building a DPMS pattern AR in 260 Rem right now. It's going to have a 24" barrel and we'll see how it does at 1,000 yards at the local F class matches.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 18 January 2011 03:17 Hide Post

Oh Yeah
but i didn';t have the $$ at the time so i had dpms make me up a heavy barreled 260 remmy with a bunch of bells and whistles. does just fine, but one of these days i'm going to have to talke to john at JP and have him make me one of his in 260. the 223 he made for me a bit back will shoot the legs of a fly at 600 (course i can't see that far)

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are the things, in my opinion, that help make an AR 10 or AR 15 accurate. One is a quality barrel. Two is the barrel extension fitting the upper receiver tightly. Three is to use a free float forearm. Four is a quality trigger. Five is a quality high power scope. Other then that it doesn't make a difference who makes the upper and lower receiver (but watch out there is a lot of junk out there)and while on that billet receivers and forged are equal, the little bit of wiggle that there may be between the upper and lower isn't really going to have that much effect on accuracy, the gas block doesn't have too much effect on accuracy but should fit snug. A heavier steel gas block may affect the barrel harmonics. Myself I would never use a flash hider on a rig that is meant for accuracy, not that it would take away some, but what do you really need it for on a target or hunting rifle? Another maker to look at for precision built AR's is Les Baer, but I'm not sure he's doing AR 10's at the moment.

Trouble with HK 91's is they are pretty heavy, harder to have a quality scope mount put on them and expensive, and they tear your brass up.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Have you considered an M1A?

Yes, in fact on an emotional level, the M1A would be my preference. I am concerned with the weight. I am looking to build a precision rifle capable of excellent long range accuracy, and have developed a certain image of what I wanted in my mind. This detour into semiauto consideration is recent and in its infancy. I killed my elk this year with my M1 Garand and enjoyed the experience. Quick follow up capability appeals to me.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:
Originally posted by homesick:
I have primarily focused on bolt actions, but recently started thinking that semiauto might be a better option.

What was the thought process that brought you to this conclusion? And, are you going to hump it, or, shoot it off a rest?

I can't say that I have settled on this option. I am considering it. I hunted with my Garand and liked the fact that I was ready immediately after my initial shot to follow up or deal with other opportunities. This was, however, the first time in my life that I left brass in the field.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

It is one of the most accurate semiauto 308's I have ever shot. And I have shot a "few" match preped M1-A's...

I've been to the JP website and a bunch of others and am very interested in the LRP 07. It's pricey, but it's close to what I had in mind. I wonder if they sell just the actions, because I have my own ideas about the barrel I'd like. I also found an outfit called RND Mfg. that interested me. I guess I'll have to get in touch with them after SHOT. Thanks to everyone for their input. I don't have a computer at home so my comversational abilities and access are limited to a couple hours after work at the office.