Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser bottom metal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents:

Intend to get in on the LH Zastava buy and would like to replace the bottom metal with something else. It has been suggested to me I can use 1909 Argy or Interarms Mk X BM. I like the MK X with the inside the bow release button but simply have no idea where to find such an item. any help?

Jeff

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at this one;

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ca...=881550A&catid=11950

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
No offense intended but those are pretty tacky in person. They're cast and the parts are a pretty loose fit with gaps between the floorplate and the guard and the lever and the trigger bow. I found out the hard way. If function were the only issue I'd say go for it but the original post indicates a desire to upgrade, not the other way.

You might get lucky and find a poster on this or another forum with one for sale. Otherwise you're going to have to go to one of the higher dollar aftermarket providers. The Argentine may work (I don't know myself if it does) but you still need a stradle floorplate fitted to get an upgraded look from the Zastava factory unit.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Cartridge choice and bottom metal need be aligned as close as possible. Feeding, etc. is assumed from there. Keep in mind the Interarms MK X (on some earlier versions) and Argentine 1909 are in-the-bow releases, they do not have straddle floor plates. Bottom metal found on later MK Xs have a lateral plate release button requiring a bit of cutting in the stock for access. Not something of which I am fan.
My advice is to get in touch with Duane Wiebe regarding proper bottom for your chosen action and cartridge. You will be happier in the long run, though the price may be considered.
Keep in mind, Duane is not the only supplier of great bottom metal for your application, just one with whom I am familiar. Sunny Hill, Recknagel, Jerry Fisher, Williams to name a few, may help.

Luck,

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Jim Wisner offers straddle floorplates for 09 Argentines and early Mark Xs. First class but must be fitted, polished & blued. They are about $65.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
No offense intended but those are pretty tacky in person. They're cast and the parts are a pretty loose fit with gaps between the floorplate and the guard and the lever and the trigger bow. I found out the hard way. If function were the only issue I'd say go for it but the original post indicates a desire to upgrade, not the other way.

+1 tu2 I bought one and refused to put it on any of my builds. To me I like the original MKX a stradle floorplate would make it even better.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No offense taken. I bought one years ago and it was serviceable after I straightened it.

The reason I mention it is that I assumed the OP didn't want to spend $300-400 on bottom metal for a Zastava rifle. But I could be wrong.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M Pursell:
No offense taken. I bought one years ago and it was serviceable after I straightened it.

The reason I mention it is that I assumed the OP didn't want to spend $300-400 on bottom metal for a Zastava rifle. But I could be wrong.

There aren't a lot of other choices when it comes to left hand Mauser actions.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Confused as to what the differences are between a left and right hand action in reguards to bottom metal.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Confused as to what the differences are between a left and right hand action in reguards to bottom metal.

I don't think the issue was the bottom metal being different. I think the issue was would he want to pay $300-400 (probably as much or more than the action) for bottom metal to stick on a Zastava.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
since I don't know can you tell me what separates a Zastava Mauser (essentially an FN, no?) from say a 1909 after a competent gunsmith has gone over it for function and feed?

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
Don

I was talking about the action itself. The previous poster wondered why someone would buy a "premium" bottom metal for a lowly Zastava action. Show me another lefty mauser action available for under a grand.

If you build one from scratch you can sort out any issues you may encounter with the action itself.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
since I don't know can you tell me what separates a Zastava Mauser (essentially an FN, no?) from say a 1909 after a competent gunsmith has gone over it for function and feed

For my $ I would build on a MKX (zastava) over most of the 1909s I've had. Yes some of the were a touch over polished. So be selective. Yes a touch rough but work them for 100years like the 1909 and they will be darn smooth. rotflmo

I'm prefectly happy with a nice smooth Zastava. Heck I have more of them than anything else. If a person is worried about resale they simply won't bring the price on a high $ custom rifle that a nice 98 or FN action will. Any difference in function?? Not to me. Just a difference in marketability. So since most of my rifles are just nice hunting rifles I'm very happy with the Zastava.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Take a look at this one;

as compared to the factory one you have, these aren't great

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39574 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Take a look at this one;

as compared to the factory one you have, these aren't great

Ive got one of those too that I picked up years ago. I paid much less for it then. They are loose fit and rough, but can be made to look ok, its no simple task though.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
[QUOTE]No offense intended but those are pretty tacky in person. They're cast and the parts are a pretty loose fit with gaps between the floorplate and the guard and the lever and the trigger bow. I found out the hard way. If function were the only issue I'd say go for it but the original post indicates a desire to upgrade, not the other way.

I held one of those in my hands & it gave me the shivers!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You all are reading too much into my post. "Premium" or "lowly" weren't words that I used. I wasn't trying to insult the man's choice in rifles and I'm sorry if it came off that way.

Mark Pursell

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsl3170:
Gents:

Intend to get in on the LH Zastava buy and would like to replace the bottom metal with something else. It has been suggested to me I can use 1909 Argy or Interarms Mk X BM. I like the MK X with the inside the bow release button but simply have no idea where to find such an item. any help?

Jeff

Don't rush into this. Wait until the rifle is in your hands. The Zastava floorplate catch is actually a good design.

Quote from one of our local smiths, regarding a very tasty custom .404J he'd built on a Zastava action:

quote:
The Zastava's have a very secure floorplate catch that you couldn't release accidentally if you tried. It's second only to the old recessed military type.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote