New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alternative to Blueing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are there any econonmical alternatives to blueing? How do they hold up and what do they cost?

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Parkerizing is one alternative.
It will give you a matte finish. Many metal objects in the military have a parkerized finish. Parkerizing holds up well, usually much better than blueing.

As far as I know, the metal is treated in a phosphate bath and the result is an etched surface that is hard.
After etching the parts are dipped in oil.
A parkerized surface holds oil well, adding to the corrosion resistance.

If you have an outdoor stove and a thermometer then you can do it yourself. It is pretty cheap, I don't know how much smiths charge for it though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You could do cold rust bluing. It is just as good as hot tank bluing. Parkerizing got mentioned already. Industrial hard chrome can be done in some colors.

Geo.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geo.
If you are referring to slow rust bluing, it is far better than hot tank bluing.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
iirc,
packerizing is nitric acid etched then phosphate dipped.. the acid gives it that "sandblasted" look.

black chrome is supposed to work.. aint seen it...

PAINT works... FUGLY but works

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Check out this post for a home made solution
Easy Hot Blue Black

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Parkerizing at home sounds dangerous. Has anyone done this?

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A slow rust blue properly done is about the onl finish that will last any length of time IMO...however D'Arcy tells me of some hot bluers that are just as good...

I know I have seen a lot of 100 year old rust blue jobs that look as new and thats on using rifles, not some gun that lived in a cabinet all its life...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rustoleum $3.99 at the hardware store Roll Eyes

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How difficult is it to cold rust blue a rifle? Does someone make a solution\blueing compound I can buy?

One of Us
Picture of pepperbelly
posted Hide Post
Here is a link I found on rust bluing. Hope it helps,
Jim

http://www.winrest.com/

NRA Life Member

Posts: 152 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The original question asked for "economical alternatives to blueing". If you are paying someone to do it, I can't think of anything much cheaper than caustic blueing. Rust blueing certainly isn't.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont mind doing the work myself to lower the cost as long as the process is safe and I have the necessary equiptment. I don't want to work with toxic chemicals or anything that might explode, catch fire, etc.. If that's the case I'll pay to have the work done.